Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SS in CO
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only MTB I have right now (and for the next year at least) is my SS. having just moved here from the flatlands in september, I'm just now getting used to the trails. last week, I picked up a used Manitou Minute fork since I was rigid when we moved. now I want to upgrade my wheelset.

any suggestions? I ride a Bianchi Rita 29er & like to run the biggest tires I can (currently 2.25 rear, 2.35 front) and I think I want a wider rim. my wheelset is the stock WTB Lazerdisc SS wheels that came on the bike. the rims are 19mm inner width. I was thinking I'd like something more in the 25mm+ range to get more volume. but I think I'd also like to take the opportunity to lose a little weight if I can. I'm not a huge WW, seeing as I'm 6'2" & 220 geared up. but if I can drop some weight with the wheels, I'd like to.

suggestions on a good wheelset that won't break the bank totally? maybe $500-600 range?

also, should I try to stick to a SS specific wheelset? I have access to Sun Ringle discounts through my work, so I can get the Chargers or Black Flags for a pretty dang good price, just not with the SS rear hub. anyone have opinions on the Chargers?

lastly, I'm going to rebuild the Manitou and see how I like it. but if funds allow, should I get a new fork? the Bianchi is designed for 100mm forks & the Manitou felt great this weekend (granted, it needs a rebuild). would it hurt to put a 120 on there? I really didn't like the bike with an 80mm that I tried in the past just for fun. made it too twitchy. but I'm wondering (if I actually look to buy a new fork) if I should go 120 or not...

any suggestions would be great.

J.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am happy with my Stan's Arches laced to American Classic SS Hub. Light enough and tough. Stan's makes a whole SS wheelset also.
ZTR Arch EX 29er Single Speed Stock Wheelset
I would avoid the Crest rims if you are 220, a little flexy IMO.
Is your fork a 15 TA or 9mm QR? If you are looking to upgrade your wheels I would look at getting a hub that either converts or get a fork and wheelset that are 15mm TA. That is just for stiffness. I had a good friend with the stock wheels on his Bianchi and they worked just fine but were heavy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Black Flags are good. And only $250 or so for a set. Go with em. I also have a set of flows that feel pretty similar.. Unless you are going with carbon I don't see the point in spending more.

·
SS in CO
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I was checking out the lightbicycle rims...$180/rim for the 35s is kinda spendy for my budget.

I can build a ZTR Flow EX SS wheelset for about $680. seems like a good price. are the Stan's hubs any good?

J.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If you are 220 stay away from the Stan Arch rims. They are not very wide either, you are better off adding a small amount of weight and go flows.
Go with a geared hub, it will save you the headache if you ever decide to sell them. The ss hub market is much smaller and if you ever decide to sell the bike you can market that you can turn the bike into a 1x10 if need be.
I would go with 100 mm fork, if that frame came with an 80 mm fork I would be leary about bumping it up to 120 mm fork.
Most forks can be swapped to 100 or 120 with a spacer....

·
SS in CO
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I'm looking more at the Flow's than the Arch's. also, the bike is only SS...it can't be converted because there's no hanger possibility.

the bike was designed for 100mm. I had been running it with a carbon rigid fork that was 80mm corrected as I couldn't afford a White Bros at the time. so I'm not sure, but I don't think the 120 will hurt it that much.

anyone have a straight-steer 120 fork I could borrow for a week? :)

J.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
yeah, I was checking out the lightbicycle rims...$180/rim for the 35s is kinda spendy for my budget.

I can build a ZTR Flow EX SS wheelset for about $680. seems like a good price. are the Stan's hubs any good?

J.
The light-bicycle all mountain carbon wheelset is actually less than that, but they are not single speed specific. Which is pretty much fine in my opinion. Easily tunable chainline and you can use them on a geared bike when you get sick of singlespeeding and get a geared bike (haha).

I bought the rims from light-bicycle, picked up the novatec hubs separately and built the wheels on my own. I've been beating the crap out of them and they are doing fine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts