Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
34x20 or 34x19 in North Texas (DFW to be specific....)

Those two ratios put you at around 32x18 (little more or little less). I like the 34 ring up front because it lasts longer...

34x20 = 1.7

32x18 = 1.77

34x19 = 1.79

Advice - Do not go by what others are riding, but what you can push depending on fitness, terrain, course, etc. SS is trial and error until you find your combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
32x20 in Ottawa, Ontario. Single speeding is fun here. I would be interested to drop to something like 30x20 or 32:21 for the hills, but I can make it up most things with 32:20, and it's not too painfully slow on flat sections.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,287 Posts
i highly recommend soliciting gearing from people with different skillsets who ride on totally different terrain. i would particularly go by mid-westerners' recommendations who can maybe climb their massive 250 ft elevation gain hills without stopping
 

·
Bite Me.
Joined
·
4,531 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i would particularly go by mid-westerners' recommendations who can maybe climb their massive 250 ft elevation gain hills without stopping
Sounds like I need to move out of Colo and find a place in the mid-west to better suit my riding abilities - training is just too painful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
34-19 or 34-18 depending on the course. This next year I am looking at riding some longer races on the coasts and down south and hopefully I'll be strong enough to do them all on a ss. I do live in the midwest. I did a race this year that was completely flat except for 3 or 4 super steep climbs that were putting most geared riders into their grannies or 32-32 combos. I rode my 34-19 there. I will definitely be riding a geared bike at that course next season.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
822 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i highly recommend soliciting gearing from people with different skillsets who ride on totally different terrain. i would particularly go by mid-westerners' recommendations who can maybe climb their massive 250 ft elevation gain hills without stopping
I realize this is meant as sarcasm, but when you consider that the best climbers in the world (feathery little spanish or italian guys) get blown out of the water on "massive 250ft elevation gain hills" in the Ardennes and on the "Bergs" of the Netherlands and Belgium, I'd hope you'd realize that it's the pace of the race and not the terrain that decides the winner.
 

·
Jacob 34:19
Joined
·
516 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
34x20 or 34x19 in North Texas (DFW to be specific....)

Those two ratios put you at around 32x18 (little more or little less). I like the 34 ring up front because it lasts longer...

34x20 = 1.7

32x18 = 1.77

34x19 = 1.79

Advice - Do not go by what others are riding, but what you can push depending on fitness, terrain, course, etc. SS is trial and error until you find your combo.
Agreed. 34 x 19 works great for ME for everything in the DFW area. Works out to about 51.89 gear inches. I would likely run a little less in Austin or Waco.

That said, there are guys up here that run upwards of 60+ gear inches. It really is an individual thing.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top