Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 SWorks Stumpy carbon SS with some sweet Edge bars and stem XT cranks and brakes and currently running King hubs with Stans Arch rims.
The frame is super stiff and yet smooth to ride. I think the wheels are flexing or something.
My question is what would be a good SS wheelset to complement this beutiful ride yet still be ride worthy? Oh I do like to race a few 12hr races each year and I could make the Clyds class FYI.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The king hubs are not the culprit of the flexing.
Unless you are ridiculously wealthy I can't see anything working better than the setup you have unless you sacrifice a ton of weight and i doubt you would be willing to do that since you have a carbon frame and race from time to time.

Are you going to sell the wheelset? If you are i would totally get a set of I9's and sell the king wheelset to me

Boxer said:
I have a 2010 SWorks Stumpy carbon SS with some sweet Edge bars and stem XT cranks and brakes and currently running King hubs with Stans Arch rims.
The frame is super stiff and yet smooth to ride. I think the wheels are flexing or something.
My question is what would be a good SS wheelset to complement this beutiful ride yet still be ride worthy? Oh I do like to race a few 12hr races each year and I could make the Clyds class FYI.
Thanks,

·
Administrator
462 Posts
Boxer said:
Thanks,
Wow...we have exactly the same setup, sans handlebars.

Culprit could be spoke tension.

But, if you're looking for an excuse to build up the ultimate wheelset to go with the ultimate SS frameset, Edge makes some great hoops that can be built up to an ultra light [esp. for your wallet] and very stiff wheelset.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tip I will check the spoke tension first. Thanks.
I considered the Edge hoops but they seem to have a long wait time for them. I will inquire at my LBS for them.
I dont see many I-9's that I like and what if I bust a spoke or three somewhere where its not easy to find a replacement?
Anyhow, thx for the advise.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Those are nice wheels

what type of spokes are they laced with and what is the pattern.....

Maybe a heavier spoke build would help?

And tension does make a difference...for whatever reason I had to have my AC/Arch wheelset retensioned every few months. And right after I had that done each time you could feel the rear wheel was much more stiff and responsive (less wind up).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it is a 29er.
I am having a funny vibration from the rear brake area, trying to figure it out.
Fun ride, super stiff and great climbing SS.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guess What?
The spokes were really loose so the LBS retensioned the rear and front and now it feels great.
They recommended checking the spoke often due to the SS and 29" size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts