Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my old rigid 29er as a gravel bike. I discovered an old singlespeed 40T chainring in my parts bin that would be perfect.

How well will it work with a clutch derailleur and 11-speed cassette - which have been designed around a narrow-wide chainring? I'm guessing it'll be fine, with chain retention good, if not as great as with a narrow-wide ring. I won't need any sort of chain retention device, right?

Thanks!

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
It'll be fine. I have a couple SS rings of a similar size that I used in a 1x10 configuration on a commuter/gravel bike for awhile. For awhile, I even used them in SS configuration. But as a 1x, I used them with a clutch derailleur and never had any problems with chain retention, and I even rode that bike on a bit of singletrack, too.

I don't use them anymore, because I felt like a 2x drivetrain served me better on that bike.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,333 Posts
I’ve had problems trying to run a SS ring in a 1x setup with a cassette (9sp). The issue was that the ring was designed to work with a 1/8” chain, and was thus too thick (and deep-toothed) to work with the 9sp chain and cassette. I think it would have been even worse with 11sp.

Guess it depends on the particular SS ring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.