Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got it all together and took it out for its first pedal with me last weekend, lack of fitness and underlying exhaustion aside this thing rips :D rewards every pedal stroke and first impressions pointing down are good. Taking a bit of adjustment to get used to a sus fork only problem is I head back to Scotland for Christmas without it (going by train + lots of books to carry + no bike bag=no superfly) :'(







 

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Saweeet! If that is not a carbon post (looks like it says Thomson/), I would suggest one...a bit more comfy on those long hauls...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Padre said:
Please don't mix carbon and ti on a bike of this caliber...

Carbon post will suffice and keep things light, comfy AND aesthetically pleasing.
carbon seatpost on a hardtail is never a good idea. plus carbon on carbon can equal slippage. over torq equals failure at the best moment possible!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
i have broken two carbon seatpost on hardtails. i have dealt with slippage and have seen people over torq to the point where you can see stress fractures in the carbon. for people who 200lbs plus a carbon seatpost is not a good idea.

This is a statement for mountain bikes only. i ride a EC90 on my road bike and it is fine. i thought it was a good idea to try them on a mountain bike. not a good idea. broke one in a matter of months of regular XC riding. years ago i also broke a FSA carbon seatpost.

Dont believe me? do a search for EC90 or EC70 in the MTBR review section. If that isn't enough you can look up FSA too.
 

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
myke2241 said:
carbon seatpost on a hardtail is never a good idea. plus carbon on carbon can equal slippage. over torq equals failure at the best moment possible!
Huh? Sounds like something that would be stated by a Performance bike shop employee. Among many others, I guess we need to notify the entire group of T D France racers about this issue.:eek:

Also, I think there is a RULE in the Mtb book of Rules that states that it is illegal to put a ti post on a carbon bike or vice a versa...maybe you don't care, but people WILL talk smack...mostly bike snobs..

I would see the ti/carbon mix and just think...now there is a confident guy who doesn't give a rat's a## ..
 

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
myke2241 said:
i have broken two carbon seatpost on hardtails. i have dealt with slippage and have seen people over torq to the point where you can see stress fractures in the carbon. for people who 200lbs plus a carbon seatpost is not a good idea.

This is a statement for mountain bikes only. i ride a EC90 on my road bike and it is fine. i thought it was a good idea to try them on a mountain bike. not a good idea. broke one in a matter of months of regular XC riding. years ago i also broke a FSA carbon seatpost.

Dont believe me? do a search for EC90 or EC70 in the MTBR review section. If that isn't enough you can look up FSA too.
Did Fontmoss tell you he was 200+ pounds? It would be silly to spend the extra cash and put carbon on a full susp in my opinion. The flex you gain from a carbon post is pointless on a full susp...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
rydbyk said:
Huh? Sounds like something that would be stated by a Performance bike shop employee. Among many others, I guess we need to notify the entire group of T D France racers about this issue.:eek:

Also, I think there is a RULE in the Mtb book of Rules that states that it is illegal to put a ti post on a carbon bike or vice a versa...maybe you don't care, but people WILL talk smack...mostly bike snobs..

I would see the ti/carbon mix and just think...now there is a confident guy who doesn't give a rat's a## ..
That was a Ti guy stating his personal rule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
rydbyk said:
Did Fontmoss tell you he was 200+ pounds? It would be silly to spend the extra cash and put carbon on a full susp in my opinion. The flex you gain from a carbon post is pointless on a full susp...
Pah, Fontmoss is a skinny runt.....:p
Carbon will be fine for him. (I agree with the carbon/ti fashion police aesthetics)

S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
rydbyk said:
Huh? Sounds like something that would be stated by a Performance bike shop employee. Among many others, I guess we need to notify the entire group of T D France racers about this issue.:eek:

Also, I think there is a RULE in the Mtb book of Rules that states that it is illegal to put a ti post on a carbon bike or vice a versa...maybe you don't care, but people WILL talk smack...mostly bike snobs..

I would see the ti/carbon mix and just think...now there is a confident guy who doesn't give a rat's a## ..

I said this a mountain bike only statement. This is a common sense statement. go search reviews on carbon seatposts on MTBR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
myke2241 said:
I said this a mountain bike only statement. This is a common sense statement. go search reviews on carbon seatposts on MTBR.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top