Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has a SS setup on their DJ/urban bike with a regular rear hub?
Would there be any problems with throwing a complete cassette on, shortening the chain and yanking the wheel back in the dropouts (horizontal) to tension the chain? I'm trying to do this on a tight budget.

Also, if anyone's got pics of what they did to their headlock to route cable through it, I'd like to see them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
BikeMk said:
Would there be any problems with throwing a complete cassette on, shortening the chain and yanking the wheel back in the dropouts (horizontal) to tension the chain? I'm trying to do this on a tight budget.

Also, if anyone's got pics of what they did to their headlock to route cable through it, I'd like to see them.

Thanks.
Here is the SS with reg hub..

Using old cassette spacers:

and a chain tensioner

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
BikeMk said:
On a tight budget you could try leaving the derailuer on but tighten both the high and low set screws so that the derail. doesn't budge off of one gear. That'll get you SSing while you save up the $20 or so get get a Gusset 1'er kit. :D

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...ettes/Gusset-1-ER-Single-Speed-Conversion.htm

edit: I've used the Gusset kit and it works great.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I just left my full cassette on and am using the ring that gives me the best chain line. I just shortened the chain and slid it into my drop outs(mine are horizontal)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SS - Urban Dj Park, its the only way to fly

I will post what ever pictures I can find tonight, but had been running single speed with a bunch of cogs setup on an 8 speed hub with the locknut. Then I went with a gusset single speed conversion kit on the same hub, it works really well.

Then I started riding a 24" rear, with a BMX hub, it worked great, but we had to add a Disc brake adapter to the wheel. This was all on my old KHS DJ100.

Now I'm riding a DK Xenia frame, with my own parts, with a DK rear BMX style hub with a disc brake adapter. The short term goal is to buy the single speed disc hub that Nasbar sells, and build a nice rear wheel. I have a buddy running it on an Eastern, he claims it's the same rear hub as the woodman, but labeled for Nashbar.

FYI of you were referring to routing your front brake through your steer tube, you can get a BMX star nut with a whole in for the cable from Dan's Comp, and that will take care of that issue.

I'll try and post some pictures a bit later tonight. For some reason MTBR doesn't have a listing for this bike to review.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The pictures above show my KHS DJ100 with mostly stock stuff,

The second photo shows it converted to single speed with a BMX chain, and a bunch of cogs spaced to line up the chain, check out the slack in the chain (vertical drop outs)

The third photo is a closer pictures of the cogs on the 8speed hub.

The pictures below are that same rear wheel with a gusset single speed conversion. (Note I ground the bearings in the hub to dust so part of the hub is missing, but that has nothing to do with the Gusset kit)

The last pictures are of my DK with horizitial drop outs notice the new chain line and tention.

Single speed is the way to go for the park, dj, and its number one on the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
If your running single speed yes, you can, in that first picture that is basically what I was doing. If you were using multiple gears, I would not think it would work properly, mainly because the BMX chains are allot more rigid, and will not move as smoothly left to right. When I my KHS geared I needed something to stop the chain from coming off when I took a decent drop, or jumped something. After I switched to SS that problem when away, and my bike got allot lighter.

If you run a standard 7-9 speed mtb chain you could have problems, and need something to retain your chain, but if you run a good BMX street style chain you should be fine, and you can use a half link to try and dial in your chain length. You can also work with your chain wheel and rear cog, or freewheel.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
BikeMk said:
Can you run a BMX chain on a standard 9sp cog or is the spacing different?
I think it would depend on the chain. Although I haven't tried it, my BMX chain (KMC I think) seems much too wide to fit the cogs of a cassette.

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps a more complete picture will help. I've got a Steelhead frame that I'm building up with spare parts. I'd like to run single speed first of all because the simplicity appeals to me, and secondly to save money. I may switch to a geared setup in the future when I've saved up some more money. So, I don't want to spend for a dedicated SS setup as much as I can avoid it. I might get my hands on some Hozfeller 22-32s, and I've got an old cassette that I can take apart and put back together so that I can run whichever gear I want in whichever place (laterally along the cassette body) I'd like. So the real question is will running a chain on 9 speed cogs that are ramped for shifting cause dropped chains, and is the pin-to-pin spacing on a BMX or SS chain incompatible with the spacing of 9speed cogs/chainrings? thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
My cogs were, but I was using the cogs from that carppy cassete shown in the fisrt picture of my bike, but I think as long as you run one of the lighter BMX chains your going to be fine, and the chain is rigid enough that you shoudn't drop the chain if you have good tention.

BikeMk said:
Perhaps a more complete picture will help. I've got a Steelhead frame that I'm building up with spare parts. I'd like to run single speed first of all because the simplicity appeals to me, and secondly to save money. I may switch to a geared setup in the future when I've saved up some more money. So, I don't want to spend for a dedicated SS setup as much as I can avoid it. I might get my hands on some Hozfeller 22-32s, and I've got an old cassette that I can take apart and put back together so that I can run whichever gear I want in whichever place (laterally along the cassette body) I'd like. So the real question is will running a chain on 9 speed cogs that are ramped for shifting cause dropped chains, and is the pin-to-pin spacing on a BMX or SS chain incompatible with the spacing of 9speed cogs/chainrings? thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I run a ramped cog from an old cassette. The key is proper chain alignment. I beleive the spacing is a little different between a BMX chain and a chain made for shifting. I use an old 8 sp chain I had laying around.

go here for all you need to know about ss conversions:
http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
BikeMk said:

Thanks.
all good suggestions below but for a real budget, you can spend $1 and buy a piece of 1.25" pvs and cut it to space out a single cog. Just figure out your chainline first and you should be all set. I have a bunch of spare cogs sitting around so pm me if you need one and Ill hook you up.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
namaSSte said:
all good suggestions below but for a real budget, you can spend $1 and buy a piece of 1.25" pvs and cut it to space out a single cog. Just figure out your chainline first and you should be all set. I have a bunch of spare cogs sitting around so pm me if you need one and Ill hook you up.
Can I get some of those cogs..?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
EastCoastHucker said:
Can I get some of those cogs..?
lemme know what size you are looking for and if its 1/8 or 3/32.

I saw you wanted a 24" wheel too. I actually have a rear 24" wheel with 135mm spacing and its a true singlespeed cassette hub (not a spaced cassette hub). I'd sell it for $60 if you are intereseted. Its a disc hub btw.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
namaSSte said:
lemme know what size you are looking for and if its 1/8 or 3/32.

I saw you wanted a 24" wheel too. I actually have a rear 24" wheel with 135mm spacing and its a true singlespeed cassette hub (not a spaced cassette hub). I'd sell it for $60 if you are intereseted. Its a disc hub btw.
thanks ...

I need a front 24"/20mm

1 1/8

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nama, thanks a lot for your offer of help. I really appreciate it. For now I'm going to see about using a cog off my old cassette and some pipe, but if I run into trouble I'll be PMing you.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Just an FYI if your doing more urban riding, and you don't want to run a bash guard. If you use a BMX Chain Ring, and a heavy duty chain like some of the burly KMC, or halflink Shadows you don't need a guard, and you can do sprocket grinds and stalls on anything up to and including granite.

We rode Fort Worth, TX last weekend, and one of our riders on an Eastern 26" bike sprayed sparks of a granite retaining wall. No damage to the chain, and no bash guard, and his chain never jumped off.

I love single speed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts