Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mary SS rear hub started messing up couple weeks ago, the pedals would rotate forward with the chain and freewheel occasionally while wheeling my bike around the garage. Chain tension was good, clean and lubed. Next ride I got driveline noises while standing and cranking, but all bolts still tight.

The freehub pawls had started to rust at their pivot points causing them to stick and not properly engage. Cleaned and re-lubed, but it has happened again a few times lately. Need recommendations on good rear SS specific hub that is well sealed, durable and lighter weight than my current hub. I don't like super loud freehubs and am leaning towards cartridge bearings for easy maintenance. Thoughts and suggestions?

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Schmucker said:
I don't know if it's lighter, but it's the most durable option I know of: Surly Hub with a White Industries freewheel.
If you don't change your gear ratio too often that's a great way to go. The WI freewheel goes forever. Probably the most bang for the buck.
If you race on a variety of terrain and need more gear choices more often it can get costly trying to do it with all WI freewheels. One option is to have a WI freewheel for your usual gear, and a couple of Shimano MX's for lower or higher ratios when needed.
My primary wheel-set has a DT 240SS rear hub which makes gear changes easy, and has proven to be quite weather resistant. The only maintenance I've had to do to it was clean and re-lube the ratchet rings in 2 1/2 years of service including one of the wettest race seasons ever.. Pricey, but I'm glad I was able to make the investment in it when I did.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can't go wrong with the WI freewheel. I wore the teeth off one before the bearings went bad! However, as another poster mentioned, they are not cheap. And they are more of a hassle to change than a cassette-style hub (IMHO).

If you want a cassette-style hub, I have had good luck with the Hope Pro II. I have been running the same hub for almost 5 years (!) and it is still going strong. Rebuilt it for the first time last season. Although I am only 155 lbs, this wheel has been used for multiple 24-hr solo races, winter training in Oregon (MUD!) and even managed to serve for a three-day, 400-mile light touring trip a couple of years ago.

If I was building a bad-condition, high-milage wheelset today I would use Hope Pro II hubs.

Joe

Natedogz said:
Mary SS rear hub started messing up couple weeks ago, the pedals would rotate forward with the chain and freewheel occasionally while wheeling my bike around the garage. Chain tension was good, clean and lubed. Next ride I got driveline noises while standing and cranking, but all bolts still tight.

The freehub pawls had started to rust at their pivot points causing them to stick and not properly engage. Cleaned and re-lubed, but it has happened again a few times lately. Need recommendations on good rear SS specific hub that is well sealed, durable and lighter weight than my current hub. I don't like super loud freehubs and am leaning towards cartridge bearings for easy maintenance. Thoughts and suggestions?

·
T Smee
160 Posts

Watch the video on Hope's website about how to service a Pro2 hub, its pretty cool. Ive not needed to do so, but if you did, it doesnt seem that bad especially since it's just cartridge bearings

1 - 8 of 8 Posts