Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Riding up to get down
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have contemplating making the switch, as I ride a SS around town and enjoy the simplicity and joy it brings; but have decided on, at least for now, making this bike an option and doing it occasionally, I am still a slave to the gears. With that being said, I purchased a bike off of e-bay (Surly 1x1) and have, finally, had some time to work on it. It came with a 36:17 ratio, which I am fine with when screwing around on the flat trails, BMX park or the hood. However, I am wondering what other Front Range SS'ers ratio's are. I want to take it up Apex, Dakota Ridge/ Mathews-Winters, Green Mountain and quite possibly Bergen in Evergreen, and don’t want something that will kill me, my knees or the joy that I have from the SS at this time.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rock on.

Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
FrontRanger said:
32-19 for me. But I am a wimp.
Well I wouldn't call FrontRanger a wimp.
Most seem to run 32X18 (me too). I have run that for one and a half years on the front range. You may want to start around 32X20 at first so it isn't overwhelming, Enjoy!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
I run 2:1 (36:18, 34:17, 32:16) on the three bikes I ride simply because that's what they came with and I'm to lazy to change them. I add my 2 cents just to say it can be done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
miSSionary said:
Well I wouldn't call FrontRanger a wimp.
Most seem to run 32X18 (me too). I have run that for one and a half years on the front range. You may want to start around 32X20 at first so it isn't overwhelming, Enjoy!! :thumbsup:
Whatever you do don't run 32X18. It will lead to obsession of custom Ti parts and funky handlebars. You have been warned.:D
 

·
Riding up to get down
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do.

So Looks like I have some work to do on the old ratio. I will be sure to say away from the TI obsessed 32x18.

Thanks for all the input, head by alpha on my way home, cha-ching:thumbsup:
 

·
Old, stale, negative
Joined
·
800 Posts
Well, I've seen the likes of "Missionary" riding away from me in a race recently and I thought I was pretty strong going in. That was in the mountains and I was on a 34X22. Pain insued. Down here I have felt 34x18 on a 29er is the way to go. Not so much spinout on the flats and not a knee killer on the climbs(except Hall). Try a bunch ratios, you'll always find a use for the extra gears down the road. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
bstrick said:
Well, I've seen the likes of "Missionary" riding away from me in a race recently and I thought I was pretty strong going in. That was in the mountains and I was on a 34X22. Pain insued. Down here I have felt 34x18 on a 29er is the way to go. Not so much spinout on the flats and not a knee killer on the climbs(except Hall). Try a bunch ratios, you'll always find a use for the extra gears down the road. Good luck.
Ha ha ha, bstrick, don't give me too much credit, you looked as if you were doing more than fine in my book!! 34X18 on a 29er at Hall?? bstrick that might kill me. :eek:
Anyhoo, bstrick gives great advice; Try a bunch of ratios...that's the way to go. Some of us spin and some of us stomp. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Whatever you do don't run 32X18. It will lead to obsession of custom Ti parts and funky handlebars. You have been warned.:D
Ha ha ha, check out my new sig FrontRanger!!...now THAT was a good one!! :cornut: :prft: :yesnod: :winker:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
FrontRanger said:
I predict a movement. You will soon have your 32X18 army in full force. I see matching jerseys and oddly sweeing Ti bars for everyone. hahaha
Maybe you should be the viSSionary!! :cornut:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top