Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My other ride is your mom
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that will be joining me on a 4-Peaks climb from the beeline to the top and back....she's thinking about bringing a SS......I know nothing of SS'ing. Is this folly? I will mention, she's a very strong rider....but I have no idea if SS, regardless of strength...is just stupid for 4-Peaks.

37 miles, 7000vert gained

Has anyone done it....do you get too spun out on sections......gearing?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Sounds like alot of work no matter what gearing. I haven't tried anything but 32 chainring and 18 cog on mine, can do pretty steep ok but don't know about that long of a climb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Comprable numbers to the Quad Bypass. I ran 32x20 there but a 21 may have been better.
You do spin out (recovery moments) and you do walk some (alternative muscle utilization), that's SSing for ya.
 

·
My other ride is your mom
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forget to mention that 5000vert is gained in the first 18 miles...the rest of the vert is from the hills on the way back.....
 

·
...
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
I have a friend that will be joining me on a 4-Peaks climb from the beeline to the top and back....she's thinking about bringing a SS......I know nothing of SS'ing. Is this folly? I will mention, she's a very strong rider....but I have no idea if SS, regardless of strength...is just stupid for 4-Peaks.

37 miles, 7000vert gained

Has anyone done it....do you get too spun out on sections......gearing?
Folly.

However, I'm interested to hear how this works out. Sounds like something Nancy would want to do.
 

·
No mames guey
Joined
·
298 Posts
There are several folks that roll SS on the Pines to Mines, but that's only 4k of climbing (but it is still 80 miles). I have to imagine that Four Peaks is possible with the right gears. 32x20 or 21 sounds about right.

In singlespeeding there are 3 speeds: stand-up, sit-down, and walk.
 

·
"No Clue Crew"
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
tpvet73 said:
There are several folks that roll SS on the Pines to Mines, but that's only 4k of climbing (but it is still 80 miles). I have to imagine that Four Peaks is possible with the right gears. 32x20 or 21 sounds about right.

In singlespeeding there are 3 speeds: stand-up, sit-down, and walk.
LOL. I like this one!
 

·
Rhino
Joined
·
567 Posts
I've been wanting to do that climb on SS for years. The only thing stopping me is the weekend ATV and truck traffic. I want to do it, but it has to be a week day.

I'd probably do it on a 21t.

Think my phone is broke, it didn't ring with an invite. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
I ride both 4 peaks and Mt. Ord. 4 Peaks would be tough on a SS at certain sections. There would be some walking for sure. I do them on a geared bike and have a great time. I don't know about the SS. I do have a team mate who rides the quad on a SS. Brutal.
 

·
Rhino
Joined
·
567 Posts
chiva said:
I ride both 4 peaks and Mt. Ord. 4 Peaks would be tough on a SS at certain sections. There would be some walking for sure. I do them on a geared bike and have a great time. I don't know about the SS. I do have a team mate who rides the quad on a SS. Brutal.
Which one do you like better Mt. Ord or Four Peaks?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,685 Posts
i as well did the quad on a single speed. One year on a 32x20 26er which was a lot of the walk option and the other on a 32x22 29er which is equivalent gearing and also took a lot of the walk option. If she is strong, a 32x20 26er ratio would be fine.

both my bikes are rigid as well so I am the man obviously!
 

·
sprocket
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
rockcrusher said:
i as well did the quad on a single speed. One year on a 32x20 26er which was a lot of the walk option and the other on a 32x22 29er which is equivalent gearing and also took a lot of the walk option. If she is strong, a 32x20 26er ratio would be fine.

both my bikes are rigid as well so I am the man obviously!
Yet you compare yourself to a woman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Honestly i wouldnt do it in anything other than a truck or dirt bike or quad. There are way to many motorized vehicles going up and down that road. As someone who frequently drives up to four peaks it is very dangerous to be on or in something that doesnt have doors or a cage around you while going to the top. Unfortunately to many people use the road as their own personal playground and they have no respect for other trucks/cars etc when you are going around the switchbacks. I have seen way to many accidents/deaths cause by arrogant motorist not paying attention and running folks of into ditches off the sides of the hills etc. if you are going to do it i would suggest early morning durring the week or not at all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
I have a friend that will be joining me on a 4-Peaks climb from the beeline to the top and back....she's thinking about bringing a SS......I know nothing of SS'ing. Is this folly? I will mention, she's a very strong rider....but I have no idea if SS, regardless of strength...is just stupid for 4-Peaks.

37 miles, 7000vert gained

Has anyone done it....do you get too spun out on sections......gearing?
No, it's impossible to ride a SS uphill.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top