Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY SS project, you know, the one where I got much love when I asked for help, went nowhere as I never followed up except for stripping down the bike. Anyway, I also have a 1986 Colnago road bike with mostly Campy stuff. Its been repainted, 1989 Time pedals are barely working, shoes are too small for me, and I have ridden it 5 times since 1996. I am wondering if it is worth keeping. I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I think I am going to get a new/new used SS on the cheap and I don't want a bike mart in my garage. So, should I keep the Colnago? Anyone know if these old classic Italian bikes have any market value?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Dirdir said:
MY SS project, you know, the one where I got much love when I asked for help, went nowhere as I never followed up except for stripping down the bike. Anyway, I also have a 1986 Colnago road bike with mostly Campy stuff. Its been repainted, 1989 Time pedals are barely working, shoes are too small for me, and I have ridden it 5 times since 1996. I am wondering if it is worth keeping. I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I think I am going to get a new/new used SS on the cheap and I don't want a bike mart in my garage. So, should I keep the Colnago? Anyone know if these old classic Italian bikes have any market value?
Two words: Fixie

(okay, I know that is one word, but there is a limit on the number of words you can include in a post, so I said two words even though fixie is indeed one word.)

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skinny-tire said:
Two words: Fixie

(okay, I know that is one word, but there is a limit on the number of words you can include in a post, so I said two words even though fixie is indeed one word.)
Thanks. Been there, done that, not interested. I just don't get it. Nah, just kidding. I get it and think it is .... JK.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Dirdir said:
Just donate all the old stuff and get the Redline deal from Cactus Bikes. Do it and be done with it, man...

Of course, now we have to listen to you really whine on an SS...

·
wheeeee!!!
360 Posts
I'll second that. I'm riding one with a fox air fork up front. Killer deal from a great shop.

waltaz said:
Just donate all the old stuff and get the Redline deal from Cactus Bikes. Do it and be done with it, man...

Of course, now we have to listen to you really whine on an SS...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Monocogs are cool, but IIRC you'll need a different rear hub than the typical MTB. Also, Monocogs are set up for a JIS headset, meaning a standard headset won't interchange without minor modifications. I'm not dissing the bike, just pointing out some of its unusual traits. I do like the new matte blue color, though.

KHS Solo one is also a decent 'cheap SS' and its a softtail. It uses standard MTB stuff.

Why not just drop the Fisher off at Slippery Pig (or Cactus) and have them finish up the conversion?

BTW, if you Google, "redline monocog" Cactus Bike shows up as the first listing...

butocabra said:
I'll second that. I'm riding one with a fox air fork up front. Killer deal from a great shop.

·
Registered
385 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Monocogs are cool, but IIRC you'll need a different rear hub than the typical MTB. Also, Monocogs are set up for a JIS headset, meaning a standard headset won't interchange without minor modifications. I'm not dissing the bike, just pointing out some of its unusual traits. I do like the new matte blue color, though.

KHS Solo one is also a decent 'cheap SS' and its a softtail. It uses standard MTB stuff.

Why not just drop the Fisher off at Slippery Pig (or Cactus) and have them finish up the conversion?

BTW, if you Google, "redline monocog" Cactus Bike shows up as the first listing...
The Redline uses 110mm spacing for the rear (standard BMX hub) and they use a standard 1 1/8" headset, not a JIS 1", so a regular old 1 1/8'er will work. You wouldn't be disappointed with one...they are bulletproof and pretty cheap. A great way to get in to SSing.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Duh on me... You're right, I'm wrong. I double checked the web page.

The BB is JIS, not the headset.

All the Monocogs I've seen before have looked pretty beefy. I've always had a ton of spare parts lying around, so I was turned off by the BMX spacing (since I don't have BMX parts). Aside from that, seems like a pretty decent ride. Cactus appears to have them for about $500.

http://www.cactusbike.com/store/control/product?category_id=BKB005&product_id=FRM502

Gary Fisher's Rig is a pretty good deal... $999 gets you a Reba fork,disc brakes, rear cassette hub, and an EBB frame. Its also 29er, if you're into that kind of thing.

jdub347 said:
The Redline uses 110mm spacing for the rear (standard BMX hub) and they use a standard 1 1/8" headset, not a JIS 1", so a regular old 1 1/8'er will work. You wouldn't be disappointed with one...they are bulletproof and pretty cheap. A great way to get in to SSing.

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
OMFG! WTF were you thinking?

That's the grossest thing I have ever seen in my life! You should get cancer for posting that. Please edit, remove, and destroy that photo. Then seek forgiveness for such an evil deed.

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
The true spirit of the SS....

Dirdir said:
... is not to go and buy a cheap (900clams is cheap? wtf) gary fisher rig or even $500 monocog, but to take some old parts from the ol' part bin, pick up a tensioner, surly or better, a rollenlager, and just upgrade as time permits. Spending bank on a SS is like.....well like wasting money. I assume that like all of us "core" riders out there you must have a bunch o' crap in the ol' garage, slap a clear coat (or better John Deere Green Krylon) on the old frame, space out a rear hub, splice in a chain and all the other naughty bits and go hurt yourself a SOMO. Ride it rigid, ride it hard and smile that big ol' sh!T eating grin that a SS always brings, oh and stock up on beer, you will need it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree, and I've tried to point him in that direction.

My first suggestion was to take his old Fisher to a shop and have them finish it for him.

It seems he wants to buy a bike already built, so Burley recommended the Monocog, and I recommended the Solo one or the Rig.

I'd rather see him build up the Fisher... it would be much cheaper and way cooler.

rockcrusher said:
... is not to go and buy a cheap (900clams is cheap? wtf) gary fisher rig or even $500 monocog, but to take some old parts from the ol' part bin, pick up a tensioner, surly or better, a rollenlager, and just upgrade as time permits. Spending bank on a SS is like.....well like wasting money. I assume that like all of us "core" riders out there you must have a bunch o' crap in the ol' garage, slap a clear coat (or better John Deere Green Krylon) on the old frame, space out a rear hub, splice in a chain and all the other naughty bits and go hurt yourself a SOMO. Ride it rigid, ride it hard and smile that big ol' sh!T eating grin that a SS always brings, oh and stock up on beer, you will need it.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rockcrusher said:
Yea, but does anyone want to buy my old Colnago?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You would have liked my old SS. 1995 Mongoose IBOC, rattlecanned fluorescent orange and green. Geared 34:17 w/o a tensioner.

Its was great until I broke a chainstay. I enjoyed that bike more as a singlespeed, than I did during its 7 years as a geared bike.

rockcrusher said:
....cooler and sexy. So that should sell it me'thinks. Dirdir, you want to be more sexy don't ya?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.