Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fairly new mountain biker. I was a BMXer all up to college. I will be purchasing a HKEK in the coming weeks and have become very interested in SS biking. For a nubi like myself, do you think that this is a good idea? Could you lay out some of the pros and cons of this choice. What will i need to make this tranformation complete? Please be specific. Thanks guys/gals.

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
UNITH said:
I am a fairly new mountain biker. I was a BMXer all up to college. I will be purchasing a HKEK in the coming weeks and have become very interested in SS biking. For a nubi like myself, do you think that this is a good idea? Could you lay out some of the pros and cons of this choice. What will i need to make this tranformation complete? Please be specific. Thanks guys/gals.
Check it out:
http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

·
Registered
477 Posts
How much do you ride??

If you ride infrequently and live in an area with lots of hills I'd probably stick to a multi-gear bike. But if you ride regularly, and like the simplicity in your set up, then SS is the ticket. I build up a SS and never rode my multi-gear bike so I converted it to SS. Now I have two SS. Remember - its not us and them - its WE....

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sure

If you can try it cheaper I would do that first. I built a 1FG a few months ago and I ride it about once a week but it's tough, I'm a granny gear I'll get there when I get there kinda rider and that doesn't mesh with a SS on these hilly trails around here. Riding it has made me stronger though.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I say take it easy first. Get your legs in with riding a mountain bike first. Last thing you wanna do is chew off more than you can swallow early on and turn yourself off the entire sport. That's not to say that riding a singlespeed bike is any great acheivement or something you have to earn. No, instead what I'm trying to say is pace yourself. Ride the Hoo Koo E Koo. Love the Hoo Koo E Koo. And then you'll know when you're good and ready do give this singlespeed nonsense a try.

(I waited a whopping 6 months before I gave it a shot and now I can't stop! That said, I still ride like crap.)

·
Registered
578 Posts
If it was me I would jump right in. You are already interested in SS so the conversion or at least trying it would come sooner or later. Most who are interested enough to try it get hooked.

The reason I would jump right in is that you are comming from BMX. If you choose a nice easy gear to get started you will do just fine. You will also not learn to jump on the granny any time that you get on a little hill. The other thing is climbing a SS, when you stand and really get going up a hill, the motions feel just like comming out of the gate. I have reccomended riding SS for cross training to all of my friends that still race BMX.

Just make sure to give it a little time. Do not expect to climb every hill the first time out. You might, but just don't expect it. Get in your mind to have fun and see what happens. SS can be 95% mental. If you keep thinking its too hard, then it will be. Just remember to smile! :D

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
do it.

There is no sense poisoning your mind with levers and buttons. I have put a number of 'friends' on SS for their first trips into the bush. The lack of moving parts and mechanical issues will let you focus on what is important. For example that tree.
Once you have the 'basics' under control then maybe, just maybe you can add one of those french things to the back end.

SS is probably the cheapest way to start, will develop your skills the fastest and offer the least frustration when it comes to repairs. Don't be a he-man, set it up with an easy ratio and build from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts