Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up a Jabberwocky and need help deciding on rear wheel hub type. I will primarily be riding SS, but might rarely use gears. I like the idea of using a geared hub and having just one wheel, but not sure of the pros/cons of doing so. Part of me wants a SS hub so I can be 100% SS, but there's that money thing.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you have a SS specific frame go SS specific hub. If you have a frame that can do both than go with the geared up option. If money is an issue you can have a geared set up or ss with the same wheel. SS specific wheel builds look better but beyond that you would probably never feel the difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're planning to use gears at some point, might as well use geared hub. Ive been riding ss on Hope evo geared hubs for a while now. Did notice a bit of nicks on the free hub body, but according to Hope they're only cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. You both helped me make up my mind to go with geared hub. I have a coupon for a big discount with Competetive Cyclist, but they don't have any Crest SS wheels in stock. Looks like I'll get the geared hub for now, and maybe get a SS specific wheel later on.

I just wasn't sure if using a geared hub would affect performance or cause any other problems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Geared hub is much easier for adjusting chainline and rear cogs are a lot cheaper for adjusting gear ratio. If this is your first SS, there's no reason to jump in 100% immediately. Just out of curiosity, what frame? Only potential problem I can think of would be having quick release rear hub with some types of chain tensioners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nevermind, I see you're building Jabberwocky! My bad. Geared hub should work great since you'll be using a hanger-mounted chain tensioner. I'm currently building a Vassago myself, really excited! Post some pics!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
"Track ends" are a very good reason to use a single speed specific hub because quick releases can slip. You can use chain tugs and Shimano skewers to try and minimize the slippage, but you would be better off with bolt on axles. If you had vertical dropouts (geared, sliding, or EBB) then a geared hub would be perfectly fine.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
"Track ends" are a very good reason to use a single speed specific hub because quick releases can slip. You can use chain tugs and Shimano skewers to try and minimize the slippage, but you would be better off with bolt on axles. If you had vertical dropouts (geared, sliding, or EBB) then a geared hub would be perfectly fine.

QR fixed with no slippage.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The wider flange spacing of a SS hub produces a wheel that is just as compliant (if not more so), but stiffer laterally. That said, the majority of MTB wheels have a full sized cassette on them and they work just fine, so the question of lateral stiffness is not a significant one.

SS hubs with a short freehub body retain adjustable chainline and use the same cogs as "geared hubs" with a full size freehub body. Shankes3 was probably referring to a threaded hub and BMX freewheel: those would be trickier to adjust sideways, decent freewheels cost more than plain cogs and the combination is heavier.

If you use Shimano skewers, strip paint off the track ends and adjust the skewer to close at proper tension, it is very unlikely to slip. Another way to reduce the tendency to slip when mashing is to use larger chainrings and cogs. For example, 36/20 is almost the same ratio as 32/18, but chain tension (which pulls the drive side of the hub forward) is reduced.

I have a couple of bikes with dedicated SS hubs on them (short freehub type - I'm not bothering with BMX freewheels anymore), but they are and will remain without gears. If I had the slightest plan to run gears, I'd build the rear wheel around a hub with a full size freehub. Don't worry about the QR thing, there are ways to prevent slippage - and if all else fails, many hubs can be converted to add security.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.