1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
$300 left over? Very difficult to do with new parts. I would say dern near impossible. I just recently got a 2009 Motobecane Outcast 29 frame for around $180. Good frame. Check it out on bike island's website or at bike island.com. I only know about the frame. But you gotta do some serious shopping to hit your price point. Ask around in the forums, use the mtbr search and read the reviews. :cool: Oh yeah- I think jensonusa.com will build your wheels for free if you buy your rims, spokes and hubs from them. Give them a call if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For that price range I'd have to say look for a complete bike used (mtbr classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc.)... you'll probably get a lot more bang for your buck. Here's one: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=29118&cat=5

In terms of new options in that ballpark I've seen the Motobecane 29er at bikesdirect.com for around $350 (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm) and Redline Monocogs go for about $450. I've heard mixed reviews of the Motobecanes, so do some research, but there's a good set of Monocog supporters.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
jaybee said:
For that price range I'd have to say look for a complete bike used (mtbr classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc.)... you'll probably get a lot more bang for your buck. Here's one: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=29118&cat=5

In terms of new options in that ballpark I've seen the Motobecane 29er at bikesdirect.com for around $350 (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm) and Redline Monocogs go for about $450. I've heard mixed reviews of the Motobecanes, so do some research, but there's a good set of Monocog supporters.
The bikes direct Moto is the 2008 version that's out now I think. The 2009 frame is nice. (sliding disc tabs and optional derailleur hanger.) Check it out. Ask bikes direct when is the 2009 model coming out. Forum member Bikes Direct might be able to help you out with that one. Look him up in the mtbr members' list and Private Message him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just tried making a components list for under $300 - it didn't work:

Frame: Sette Reken $90
Fork: Tange Mountain $46
Handlebar: Race Face Ride XC low rise 31.8mm $19
Grips: Velo MTB Hex $6
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 5 front and back $28
Levers: Avid FR-5 set $14.30
Stem: Easton EA30 90mm, 105mm, or 120mm $7
Headset: FSA Pig $22
Crankset: Truvativ Hussefelt DH $66
Chainring:
Chain: Sram PC-1, silver $9.60
Pedals: Wellgo LU-895 $9.24
BB: Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL ISIS $32
Saddle: Selle Royal Freeway Gel Moderate $25
Seatpost: Kalloy Laprade $13
Seat clamp: Kalloy SC-201 $4
Tires: Kenda K831 $24/pr
Tubes: Standard Schraeder valve $3
Wheelset: Shimano Deore disc/Rhyno Lite set $95
Conversion Kit: Gusset $20

Total before shipping: $513.14
Without frame: $423.14
All items are from JensonUSA

Or, you can get a bunch of parts from a complete bike on craigslist for $50-60. You're talking: complete wheelsets with tires and tubes, forks that can be stripped and repainted, grips, saddle, seatpost (if it fits), chain, pedals, brakes, handlebar, stem etc.

Or, just convert the POS craigslist bike for less than $100 and slowly upgrade.

Sometimes, craigslist can be a goldmine--->http://knoxville.craigslist.org/bik/969935926.html

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd save up $50 more for a redline monocog. Sweet bike for the money, and you're not going to beat that price for frame/components buying everything new/separately.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As was said ^ up there... buy a used bike and take parts off - much cheaper than putting parts on ; ) Save $20 for the Performance conversion kit and go ride.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
if you don't mind used/old, like others said, buy a complete bike and convert it. putting a bike together with new parts will sum up more than your budget unless you put together crap parts, which i think you don't want to end up with. look around for recently loved SS or convert one yourself. mine is around CAD$200 with a mix of old, new and free parts and still not done. i figured it will cost me around 300 to make it start rolling, i can go really cheap but i prefer nice parts on it, for a change. so whatever route you go, just make sure you put reliable parts on and you enjoy what you see. then ride the crap out of it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I am going to get a Outcaster which is a flat 350$. and use the 50$ish (+whatever other money I will get) on upgrades as things wear out.

Now the question is, what color =DD

·
Registered
54 Posts
dummey said:
I am thinking about building up a SS Rigid/Front suspension mountain bike, but am on a tight budget. Now the question is is it worthwhile for me to even attempt putting one together at say 300-400$ range.

So far I am thinking about:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17...es/Sette-Reken-Hardtail-Alloy-Frame-Black.htm
for the frame which leaves me at about 300$.
Get a used bike. I got a used monocog with a few upgrades in that price range. There is no way that I could have gotten nearly as decent a bike if I was buying new stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wes m. said:
Get a used bike. I got a used monocog with a few upgrades in that price range. There is no way that I could have gotten nearly as decent a bike if I was buying new stuff.
I was thinking about that, but I haven't seen many good deals local (San Diego) and shipping ends up being near 75$ on ebay.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Let us know how you like that Outcast. Hell, I'd sell you my SS '01 Rocky Mtn Blizzard, for what you're wanting to spend. I've got over $800 into it. It's a great bike, but it is a 26"er.
Can't get around the fact that 29'ers just feel way more natural under my Clyde arse...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Doggity said:
Let us know how you like that Outcast. Hell, I'd sell you my SS '01 Rocky Mtn Blizzard, for what you're wanting to spend. I've got over $800 into it. It's a great bike, but it is a 26"er.
Can't get around the fact that 29'ers just feel way more natural under my Clyde arse...
Now we can ride our 26ers 'til we feel stupid. :D :D :D ...Or stupider than we felt when we got on them. No seriously. 26ers have their place in the mtb world. I'm glad I can transport my mind to more places than my bikes can take me to. Otherwise a couple of my bikes would have their place in the garbage can. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zarr said:
Now we can ride our 26ers 'til we feel stupid. :D :D :D ...Or stupider than we felt when we got on them. No seriously. 26ers have their place in the mtb world. I'm glad I can transport my mind to more places than my bikes can take me to. Otherwise a couple of my bikes would have their place in the garbage can. :)
Yay for ridding until feeling stupid, reminds me of middle school days. Used to wake up at 6am to ride our kmart bikes to the local trail creaking all the way because nobody told us wd40 was not a lube. =D

Now a question about sizing, if my inseem is 33 without shoes on (am 6 1 and 175 lbs), should I go for 20 or 19? My old 26in was a 19in and felt a bit small, but I don't know how this translates to the 29 world.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Can't help you with sizing, but a buddy of mine has an Outcast and he loves it.
I marveled at what you get and how light the bike is at that price.
He has since gone about putting a carbon fork on it, and adding some of his favorites from the parts bin, plus a XTR/Salsa wheelset he picked up for cheap on ebay, but stock is a great way to get rolling.

crappy shot, but that is indeed an Outcast going over that ledge

My first SS was a converted 1996 Stumpjumper. Since I had the bike, all it cost me was a spacer kit, but I have since converted friends with 1 3/8" PVC pipe and old cassette spacers.

(any excuse to post a picture of one of my bikes)

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
I've got a 26" Outcast that I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago, but I can't find the 26 anymore. At the time I bought it, it was $299 plus shipping. I wanted a cheap SS so I could decide if I would like it. I do... Now, it's time for a Sycip. I gotta say though for a cheap bike, the Outcast works just fine.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
chuckha62 said:
I've got a 26" Outcast that I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago, but I can't find the 26 anymore. At the time I bought it, it was $299 plus shipping. I wanted a cheap SS so I could decide if I would like it. I do... Now, it's time for a Sycip. I gotta say though for a cheap bike, the Outcast works just fine.
Yeah, I believe he's good to go with the Outcast29...I just hope the Moto/bikes direct haters don't get on here and cloud his mind with the wigida wack. Wish the new Outcast29 (I got the frame) was available now as a complete bike. (Disc brakes and optional derailleur hanger) Still a good deal though with the current model...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.