Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent in my $99 for the Mohican 100 and wanted to get a little info. Since no elevation profile is posted unitil the day before the race, I wanted to know what the course is or was like? I am mainly asking for gearing purposes, because I know that a lot of people went in over geared last year. I was debating between a 32/18 or 32/20, which may change as a drop weight.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
MLH said:
I just sent in my $99 for the Mohican 100 and wanted to get a little info. Since no elevation profile is posted unitil the day before the race, I wanted to know what the course is or was like? I am mainly asking for gearing purposes, because I know that a lot of people went in over geared last year. I was debating between a 32/18 or 32/20, which may change as a drop weight.
Thanks,
Mike
Here's how I described last year's course:
"The course had every type of riding imaginable. Singletrack, pavement, gravel, double track, railroad bed, horse trail, unridable hiking trails, deer paths, and random cuts across green fields."
I ran a 34X17 gear if I remember right. There were a lot of flat and rolling sections, and no major climbs. There were some long sections of flat (esp the railroad bed) where too low of a gear would have been a bad choice. I guess it would depend on what type of rider you are. If you want to win look at 2:1. If you think you'll be riding till it's dark outside you may want to gear lower. Last year's SS finish times (http://www.results.ombc.net/) were all over the board from 9:24 to 12:26.

·
Registered
7 Posts
36x16

Maybe this will help... I was running a 36x16 on my SS Niner (29er) and based on the muddy conditions at this race last May I would have prefered a 17 on the back.

The course was muddy from the all the rain on the previous day which had me hiking it up some of the steeper climbs early on which for the most part are short 2-5 minute efforts. As the day went and the course dried out I found my self more comfortable with my gearing as there seemed to be a lot of dirt road climbing.

If you can make it up the grassy hill from the dam in the last mile or two your a freaking stud! I could barely hike up it.

Overall I thought it was a great race and can't wait to do it again.

Cya there!

Jansen.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
danjan said:
Maybe this will help... I was running a 36x16 on my SS Niner (29er) and based on the muddy conditions at this race last May I would have prefered a 17 on the back.

The course was muddy from the all the rain on the previous day which had me hiking it up some of the steeper climbs early on which for the most part are short 2-5 minute efforts. As the day went and the course dried out I found my self more comfortable with my gearing as there seemed to be a lot of dirt road climbing.

If you can make it up the grassy hill from the dam in the last mile or two your a freaking stud! I could barely hike up it.

Overall I thought it was a great race and can't wait to do it again.

Cya there!

Jansen.
36X16???

but you are "THE" Dan Jansen.

Taking gearing advice from Dan is like taking boxing advice from Mike Tyson.
"You see I punch them once real hard, and then they fall down. That's how you box."

Mere mortals can't push that gear.
We all know there is a red "S" under that jersey.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I personally believe that both of you must be Aliens (like from the movie MIB) sent here just to embarass us "Mere Mortals".

teamdicky said:
If you want to win look at 2:1. Last year's SS finish times were all over the board from 9:24 to 12:26.
I thought you were "THE Team Dicky"? Or do you only uppercase the "THE" if you wear a Red "S" under your jersey?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.