Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my new SS Surly Karate Monkey on Friday. Got my first ride on it last night. What a sweet ride. I have been riding a CAKE and a Sugar 292. So the hardtail has me remembering some old trail features that I had forgot about. I have some curiosity questions though:

This bike rocks. I had a Sugar 292 with the big wheels before and I couldn't get a Manual to work at all. This doesn't seem to be the case with the KM since I can Manual it and I have the exact same fork on the KM. Different geometry that makes this easier? I don't understand but I love it.

Now my second question that may pose as OT for this forum. I am running a 2-1 gear right now and it seems to hard to push. I guess I should add a tooth? I am primarily going to ride it XC for now. . what gear ?

I will post pics ASAP!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The chainstay lenght and BB height may be deciding factors. Measure the difference.

2:1 is very big with 29" XC. I live in flatland, and it's my favorite gear, but sucks on the slightest hills already. 32x22 is not rare in the mountains, 32x19 seems to be an average of what people around the world use.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wooglin

wooglin said:
I run a 32-20 at Harbison, and that's the same gear I run at ORAMM. You won't win any races on it, but you'll finish.
I think Paul was trying to kill me putting that big gear on there. I almost passed out doing K3 yesterday.

Ummmmmmmm yeah I think I will be sticking with the FS in the ORAMM and the SM100. . . I am no tough guy. :nonod:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
tackmeister said:
I ride 34:18 on my KM, and love it for climbing or even the flats.
either your a beast or you ride the flatlands. either way that is not a gear i'd recommend if you ride decent sized hills; unless you race expert and can crush mere mortals.

i am gonna try oramm this weekend 34x21 but i think i might wish i left my 34x22 on there from eariler this year...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
max-a-mill said:
either your a beast or you ride the flatlands. either way that is not a gear i'd recommend if you ride decent sized hills; unless you race expert and can crush mere mortals.

i am gonna try oramm this weekend 34x21 but i think i might wish i left my 34x22 on there from eariler this year...
For the ORAMM I will have my 32x24 32x23 32x22 32x21 32x20. . . I think you get the picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.