Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been trying to do some intervals and I am struggling to keep it like an interval...hard to the end. I only use a ss and seem to digress into high tempo if the trail is hard for over ten minutes or so. Maybe thats just the nature of the beast on a ss, but I am curious if others have found it hard to do intervals on ss.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
I do them, but carefully pick hills with the proper length and grade then choose a gear that get's me in the range I want to be in. It's not easy, but I'm lucky enough to live near a trail system with all kinds of trails of various lengths and grades.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Every hilly ride on an SS is an interval training. ;)

If your hills aren't steep enough, gear higher.
If your hills aren't long enough for the intervals you would like to do, gear a LOT higher and do intervals on flat trails/roads.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
^^^ I do have to agree with this somewhat. As we all know, the terrain and our choice of gearing often dictate our effort.
The other thing I've done is look at my HR data on a ride over some varied terrain and then pick out hills where my HR was in a desired range and fairly steady for a duration. Then later when wanting some "structured" intervals, I do reps on that hill.

·
Registered
665 Posts
:skep: every ride on the single speed is full of intervals. If it's my local stuff even with my shortest gearing 34-20 just getting up the 1mile climbs is as my buddy puts it "a world event". If it's my local wed night race series where I run a 34-15 then trying to keep up with the sprint tactics of the geared pro class cover my short bursty intervals.

The beauty of the single speed is if your riding it hard(the right way) then it forces you to do automatically all those things you have to plan out when riding gears.

If your not satisfied with the results of SSing then try your intervals on foot. Running at 90-95% max HR will get you all the results you could hope for.

·
Registered
861 Posts
What I really like about single speed is that the gear and terrain connect to make training and pace setting very organic.

Really on a geared bike I find that I go hard all the time because I just cycle the gears to hammer all sections of a route. For my mindset geared bikes are harder and I almost always blow up in races and am never really happy.

On the single speed the gearing and terrain force me to perform an "interval" at times and also forces me to rest at other times. The natural intervals that happen in single speed make the rides more interesting and the gearing allows me to occasionally go easy without feeling guilty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts