Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to upgrade from the rear stock hub on my bianchi sok. looking for quicker response...any suggestions??

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
For a great SS hub that is by far the easiest to maintain by yourself.. The DT Swiss stands in a class of it's own. No tools required to maintenance the freehub assembly, it literally just pops off, and there is only 4 parts inside! Upgrading to the 36x36 is very inexpensive ($25), and it is more than satisfactory for an engagement system.

The 240s is a very light hub, I believe lighter than i9, and definitely lighter than Hadley, CK and Hope, but they will cost as much as the I9's and Kings, but you have spoke choices

The 350 is less expensive, same engagement system and is a bit more robust but at the expensive weight.

Definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Chris King hub is by far in my opinion the best one I've tried, quick engage and very user friendly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have an atomlab pimplite on one wheelset, it's a nice hub with super quick engagement, the quickest I've ever owned. Very reasonably priced compared to some blingy hubs out there, unless you're looking for flashy colors and bragging rites.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
My 2 pairs of hopes were cheap and they have been maintenance free. One of em has 7 gears on it right now btw. Kinda cool if you want a dishless rear wheel.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Having ridden a bunch of miles on King, Hope, I9, Hadley, Profile, and Stans SS hubs - top on my list is I9. Engagement is great and durability has been excellent. Next I would go with either Hope or King with a very slight preference toward Hope. Then Hadley. FInally Profile and Stans.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Having owned i9, CK and DT240 with the 36pt upgrade, here are my observations:
i9 is a better hub than CK; it has better engagement and spins much smoother. They are both plenty blingy for anyone that is into appearance.

The DT240 spins even better than i9 and is much easier to maintain. The adaptability is also one of the best in the industry (there are kits to switch between Q/R, Bolt-on and Through-Bolt).
So, if bling is most important to you, or engagement is on the top of your list, go i9; otherwise DT240 is way to go.

A side note: IMO, more than 36 points of engagements is barely noticeably, and does not come into play when riding the bike.

If you have not guessed, the DT240 is my favorite hub these days.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Having owned i9, CK and DT240 with the 36pt upgrade, here are my observations:
i9 is a better hub than CK; it has better engagement and spins much smoother. They are both plenty blingy for anyone that is into appearance.
The design of the King ring-drive is much more durable over the long haul. There is no competition in that respect.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The design of the King ring-drive is much more durable over the long haul. There is no competition in that respect.
From my experience, it's a myth. I had two CC hubs, and both slipped. Granted, I ran a very high gear (42/16), but that has never happened to me on DT Swiss. My CC stalwarts rose the defend the brand, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hope PRO2 EVO hubs (rear hub is SS specific) DT Swiss spokes Stan's Crest rims built for $550.00. Nice wheel set, my only complaint is they are NOISEY! All my other bikes have Shimano Tubeless Wheelsets on them and they make no noise, I like that.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
From my experience, it's a myth. I had two CC hubs, and both slipped. Granted, I ran a very high gear (42/16), but that has never happened to me on DT Swiss. My CC stalwarts rose the defend the brand, but that's my experience.
Oh yeah, I remember that thread now...like I said then, if 42/16 was too tall of a gear, then pro road racers wouldn't be riding the same internals with higher gear ratios. It was a problem with setup.

Let's be honest, you don't have any real experience with these hubs. Sure, you may have ridden them, but your mechanical skills are lacking. You should stick to something more user friendly.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My fav in this order : I9, King, DtSwiss. Lots of time on all 3 over the last 15 years. Haven't ridden the Hadley, have heard good things though.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
The adaptability is also one of the best in the industry (there are kits to switch between Q/R, Bolt-on and Through-Bolt).
So, if bling is most important to you, or engagement is on the top of your list, go i9; otherwise DT240 is way to go.
With I9 I've gone from QR -> Bolt -> 20mm ->25mm on the front axle and have been pleased with each update. Rear I've gone from QR -> Bolt axles using Chub Hub rear bolts and retainer cups for increased stiffness. I9 can be bling, but still adaptable. Only complaint is their bolts used with the button cap bolts. Would rather see socket caps with washer for a more reliable bolt / tool interface especially considering high torque loading.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts