Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,184 Posts
Hub "noise" has never bothered me and I find it to be quite useful when passing others in either direction by coasting for just a brief moment if not longer.

King and DT top the durability list in my stable. I have multiple sets that are more than 10 years old and still going strong (with minimal periodic maintenance every year or two). A couple of my sets of King's are the "quietest" most people have ever "heard".

·
Banned
810 Posts
More engagement = more noise for the most part. the DT 350 with 18t ratchet is pretty quiet but if engagement is an issue then onyx is really your only option. Totally understand the loud hub thing. I would rather just use a bell or my voice when overtaking people. then I don't have to listen to the horrid noise the rest of the time I am on the bike.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,319 Posts
My Hadley rear hub is crazy quiet if I drop 2-3 drops of PFTE oil in the pawls every so often.
It’s what Hadley recommends for service.
I’d imagine that would mute any hub as well as it does mine.
I change cogs pretty often so about every 4th/5th swap I lube it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
In my experience, DT is about as quiet as it gets without going to something like Onyx. When I'm riding, I honestly don't hear my hub since tire noise pretty much drowns everything else out...

That said, if I had to ride with an I9 on my bike I'd probably veer off the trail and aim for a tree as soon as I saw one big enough.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,319 Posts
all the above cost like my frame:)
i saw wtb laserdisc ss hub? anyone heard of it?
Your budget changes things. IMO, if you're looking at 'oem quality' hubs like Laserdiscs, just get some Shimano SLX hubs and move on with your life.

All low engagement hubs are pretty quiet. More engagement usually means more noise unless you grease liberally, or get something funky like an Onyx with a sprag clutch.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Have run hope, hadley, king, formula, onyx(roughly order of noise, hope loud!). Would never buy anything but Onyx again, dead silent( which complements Ss i think), ling lasting, virtually infinite POE(awesome in the rock gardens). Have a set f/r of the wtb Ss laser in garage never used they had a rep like shimano for blowing pawls apart.

Edit: side note a bit funny but the Hopes really seemed to set off any rattler in nearby brush

·
Registered
889 Posts
In my experience, DT is about as quiet as it gets without going to something like Onyx. When I'm riding, I honestly don't hear my hub since tire noise pretty much drowns everything else out...

That said, if I had to ride with an I9 on my bike I'd probably veer off the trail and aim for a tree as soon as I saw one big enough.
You say that now lol, but I just happened to clip my right bar on a tree on my ride yesterday. It sent me across the trail into the ground and another tree at pretty high speed. Ended up breaking my scapula.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
Are your DT hubs working properly? My 240s's are some of the quietest hubs I've found. Completely agree on CK's though. I know some people like them, but they're downright ridiculous.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,791 Posts
My P321 is pretty quiet even without the oil in it. (which is why I wasn't going to recommend it. They still don't have a seal that will hold oil going on 2 years later. But, it's still super quiet, even more so with oil in it...)

My Hadley is also very quiet when it holds oil... yup, that one puked it's oil out on several occasions. Tried replacing the seal, held for a while but lost it's oil again.

Still looking for a quiet SS hub that is trouble free.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,319 Posts
My P321 is pretty quiet even without the oil in it. (which is why I wasn't going to recommend it. They still don't have a seal that will hold oil going on 2 years later. But, it's still super quiet, even more so with oil in it...)

My Hadley is also very quiet when it holds oil... yup, that one puked it's oil out on several occasions. Tried replacing the seal, held for a while but lost it's oil again.

Still looking for a quiet SS hub that is trouble free.
Hubs aren't supposed to have enough oil in them to 'puke'. Literally two drops on each pawl on is all it needs.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Onyx is my favorite hub except for the weight. It's noticeably smoother and quieter and would be my recommendation if you don't care about weight.
I've had 3 sets of the new P321 Hubs because they have the features I want without the weight penalty. I just use dumonde tech grease and don't have leakage like mentioned above. Not silent but smooth and quiet considering the amount of engagement.

·
Registered
906 Posts
One quiet and cheap option is a Shimano freewheel, which are very quiet, ($22 LINK) and a Surly single speed rear hub ($100 LINK).

My surly rear hub has been bomber for a decade. I have White Industries Trials freehub on it, which is great, but louder and more expensive than the Shimano ones.

Or run the Surly hub fixed for the ultimate in quiet...

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,319 Posts
Which company do you work for, Hadley or P321? I've had lengthy conversations with both.
I can't fathom why Mike (Hadley) would tell you to jam the pawls full of grease when he purposely sells PFTE in a dropper bottle and gives instructions on its use. Erik at Balle says the same, assume that's because they are the main Hadley distributor in the US and would go with the hub builders recommendation.

Shrug. You do you. This isn't a pissing contest. I'll keep servicing the bearings about 1x/yr and oiling the pawls every so often, I expect my hub to continue on for the next 5 or more years just as they have for the last 5.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.