Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on putting together my first SS and I'm looking at a Bontrager singlespeed rear hub. There is a narrow shimano-type freehub body, but there are no threads for a lockring to grab. There isn't even a place where the threads would have been had they been stripped. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
395 Posts
demtbiker said:
I'm working on putting together my first SS and I'm looking at a Bontrager singlespeed rear hub. There is a narrow shimano-type freehub body, but there are no threads for a lockring to grab. There isn't even a place where the threads would have been had they been stripped. Am I missing something?
hm, odd... think I remember some people getting the nashbar ones with no threads on them. Manufacuring problem, post a pict.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Might not take a lockring

I believe that the bonti SS hubs use an internal type lockring, similar to those on typical geared hubs, and that the threads might not be visible from the outside. I've seen pics of the nashbar hub with the lockring, but have not seen a bonti that way. I don't think that nashbar and bonti hubs are by the same mfg either (just renamed). Seems a pretty large oversite to put a hub out the door with no cog fixing arrangement.

Plum

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little more info

Not sure I can post a pic since I'm stuck with a pathetically slow computer and even worse dial up internet connection.

I pulled the axle and bearings out of the hub to see if I could gain any insight and still no clue. There are no threads on the freehub body at all. The bearings sit flush with the end of the body when assembled, so no idea how you'd get a lockring in there anyway. If I were to pull the freehub body off, would I be able to get a bmx single freewheel on there?

I'll try to post a pic later.

Thanks

Jamie

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
usr666 said:
does it look like this minus the lockring, I thought IROs, nashbar and Bonti where all the same:

Bonti one, pict is of the QR but the bolt on is the same:
Those are from different manufacturers.
The Nashbar et al is made by Novatec (designed by On-One)
The Bontrager is from Formula Hubs.

They are similar but not the same.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
demtbiker said:
There should be threads for a lockring. I hope you have not built the wheel yet. You need to return the hub (or at least get a replacement freehub body).

·
Registered
395 Posts
shiggy said:
Those are from different manufacturers.
The Nashbar et al is made by Novatec (designed by On-One)
The Bontrager is from Formula Hubs.

They are similar but not the same.
Ya guess they are different enough (thickness of the inside body).... the Nashbars/Bonti look just like my IROs, just figured they all got em from the same place. Either way the guy should have lockring threads.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
usr666 said:
Ya guess they are different enough (thickness of the inside body).... the Nashbars/Bonti look just like my IROs, just figured they all got em from the same place. Either way the guy should have lockring threads.

It appears the IRO and Bonty are the same hub.

The On-One/Nashbar/Woodman is different. Look at the disk mount flange and the shell shape inside the driveside spoke flange.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mental head slap...

OK I'll admit it. The problem was apparently the mechanic and not the hub. Having not dealt with this type of hub before it took awhile before it dawned on me that the lockring went on the outside of the freehub body. Duh.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.