Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested in what people think about SS enduro racing. I do a lot of road and track racing and have a pretty high cadence so tend to use bigger rear cogs and really spin on the flats. the bigger cogs help on the uphills too.

just interested on what people think about which style is better for enduro - working smaller cogs faster or big cogs slower (and harder on the hills).

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
No idea about the answer but just to be sure what the question is:

Do you mean Endurance, as in long distance racing, or Enduro, as raced in Europe with several short and technical timed sections in a loop with a fairly loose overall time limit?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Depends upon several things

What kind of "motor" you have is most important. You say you are a higher cadence kind of guy, so I wouldn't veer too far off that path.

Secondly, course type is going to determine whether or not you have a big rear cog for hills/mountains or smaller rear cogs for flatter courses. Spinning like a mad man and going 12mph at your limit is not going to get you very far. (An extreme example, maybe)

That said, on long, ultra endurance type events of 200 plus miles over hilly terrain I have seen the guys that perform the best on anything from low 50's in gear inches to around sixty or slightly above.(!!) These were point to point, self supported races. In multi-lap, circular course type races where terrain may be more extreme you certainly would want to vary your choices from what I have observed.

I ran just below 50 gear inches in the last event I did and it really got to me in the flats. I'm no track racer, but I can spin okay. It's just a matter of what your fitness level can support and for how long. I have another bike set up with about 53.5 gear inches and it works far better for me over similar terrain. I give you that example as a way to illustrate that you don't have to vary your gearing to much to fit or not fit your "style" of riding.

Experiment with a few cheap SS cogs/freewheels and find out what works best for you, and then I wouldn't stray too far up or down, gear wise from that. My opinion, Your mileage may vary! Good luck!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Only you can tell what's best for you. For me personally low cadence works best for long rides. With high cadence it works fine for shorter rides, and it is easier and faster to ride on uphills, but once when I get tired, and I get tired faster when riding with high cadence, there's just no way to keep going with high cadence. But as I said... it's up to you to know what fits you best. I'm sure my way of riding is completely different then someone elses, so I think noone can really suggest you what will be best for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.