Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what the females are funning for gearing. I just built up a chameleon with 32/18, thinking about going to 32/20 as I struggled on some hills. what are others running?
thanks

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
I usually ride in the Santa Monicas...

...and found that a 32/16 was fine as long as all I was doing was fire road stuff. My singletrack riding improved quite a bit when I switched to a 32/18. In general, if I am a bit less "pinned" aerobically when going into technical terrain I ride better. I have only been riding my SS for about 3 months, so I am still experimenting...

Cheers,
C

Oh, just realized you are on the EC. - The Santa Monica Mtns have a lot of long non-technical fire-road climbs - sometimes 45 minutes or more. They can be steep, but almost never more than a burly truck can get over on the way to a brush fire...

·
Registered
329 Posts
now that i'm in Austin, i'm running 32:16. when i lived in the steep mountains of new mexico, i ran 32:20, and still walked up some of the hills. and the ones i could ride up, nearly ripped my lungs out. i'd say try 32:18 and see how it feels. you can change gearing pretty easily. play with it til you find something that works.

·
Homegrown
143 Posts
Hey! I am also in New England, and ride a 32/18. I find that it is pretty good for most of the local terrain - have ridden Great Brook, Lynn, and other places on it. There are definitely some climbs that are harder with this gearing, but most are pretty manageable.

SheFly

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
screampint said:
I think it has a lot to do with the terrain you normally ride. I'm in Western Colorado and ride 34x18. I can do most hills here, but some are a definite struggle and others I concede to the gearies.
i agree with screampint.

i'm also running a 34x18 but i'm doing so in north central georgia and i'd bet that same gearing would kill me on the stuff that screampint usually rides. similarly, i have a guy friend who lives out in southern california and also runs a 34x18. given how strong a climber he is i am sure i would die on any hill he could cruise up.

the gear ratio you choose will have a lot to do with the type of terrain you normally ride.

rt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.