Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know this is a totally subjective poll but, what gearing are you ss'ers running? I'm asking because 1 I'm new to single speed's, 2 I'm feeling a bit wimpy after the guys I ride with (both 29"er ss'ers) rolled their eyes when I told them I'm going to run a 34 19 (I'm in the mid west where climbs last no more than a few minutes), and 3 I'm also doing a 6 hour race this weekend and am wondering if you all run the same gear ratio on epics. Not the best way to figure out your gearing but you have to start somewhere.

I realize I'll figure this out after more time on a single, but I'm just after the facts.

On a side note my 292, once the replacement shows up from fisher, is going to be very lonely. There really IS something to riding just one gear. Big Grin.

e

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
I ride 34-21 for everything but am considering giving 34-18 a shot to see how much harder it is...I really want to push a bigger gear for the kokopelli race in a few weeks so I don't get smoked by the geared bikes.

Anyone in the long, sustained climbing area try pushing that gear? Like doing a legpress for an hour straight?

·
"the" fashion advisor
149 Posts
Gear inches are the key....

escamillo said:
OK I know this is a totally subjective poll but, what gearing are you ss'ers running? I'm asking because 1 I'm new to single speed's, 2 I'm feeling a bit wimpy after the guys I ride with (both 29"er ss'ers) rolled their eyes when I told them I'm going to run a 34 19 (I'm in the mid west where climbs last no more than a few minutes), and 3 I'm also doing a 6 hour race this weekend and am wondering if you all run the same gear ratio on epics. Not the best way to figure out your gearing but you have to start somewhere.

I realize I'll figure this out after more time on a single, but I'm just after the facts.

On a side note my 292, once the replacement shows up from fisher, is going to be very lonely. There really IS something to riding just one gear. Big Grin.

e
Well, if you run the gear inch calculations using this site:
http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html

You will see that a 34x19 on a 29er is 51.89 gear inches while a 32x16 on a 26er is 52 gear inches. Since gear inches is what really matters here this is the key measurement and using the tried and true 2:1 on a 26er will give you some idea where you sit I suppose on the "wimpy" scale. To me, running a 2:1 on a 26er isn't wimpy and given a 34x19 is about as close as you can get on a 29er with a 34 ring up front I'd say its at least "average" gearing.

Not to mention it happens to be what I run in the midwest.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
32:20. I used to use 32:17 99% of the time on a 26er, and a 32:19 would have been the same on the 29er. However, 19T wide-based cogs are available from only a few places, and I'm holding out for the Surly.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Is gearing between 26" and 29" really that big of a difference?

Before my 29er was built I ordered a 22T and a 23T cog from endless bikes thinking I would need the larger cogs for big hill riding since I used 34-21 on my 26" wheeled bike for the same. The 23T didn't arrive before I headed to Pisgah so I was stuck with 34-21 until onegearguy met me in the area to give me the 22T cog. I had already ridden one of the steepest trails in 34-21and didn't have any problems so I rode that down there the entire time and felt like I was doing better than when I was on the 26".

Maybe it's because on the 26" bike I had a 2.5 weirwolf race up front and a 2.4 mutanoraptor in the back while on the 29er I was using a 2.3 exiwolf up front and a 2.1 ignitor in the rear?? Perhaps the gearing was closer with the larger volume tires...

Anyways, I'm stuck with a 22T and a 23T I'll never use if anyone wants them:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
34x18

and have not needed anything less yet. I have raced a few times and done a good deal of solo riding never wishing for anything smaller. At the CCP I am looking for a 32x18 or maybe 19, just because the climbing is so continual. We have nice rolling trails with climbs like the Berryman on steriods, longer and a little steeper, but not terrible. I like it, my knees, so far, like it and until I find trails I can't do with it I will use it. I think it really is just a trial and error thing. Good luck Ed

·
Registered
361 Posts
34:18 Here in Minneapolis

Let em' roll their eyes, but when the climbing is mild it works just fine. 34:19 would be good to somedays 18 feels a little steep. For tight terrain with steep switchback climbs and short downhills I'd run a 34:20. I ran into this last weekend with an 18 and was doing some serious mashing. For your long race a 34:20 might be the way to go.

Or maybe some experience running different gears on varying terrains would be best before the race.

·
Registered
105 Posts
32x19 for my high
30x21 for a low

I keep all 4 on the bike for quick swaps.

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
34x17 or 32x20

those are my usual choices. its flat here so the 2x1 works 75% of the time. the trails near the "mighty mo" have the steeper stuff and then i'll switch over to the lower gear if i know that is my destination.

·
Most Delicious
1,413 Posts
I was running 34 x 20 with 180's up here in the north end of northern California. Now I'm running 36 x 22 with 170's, which is basically the same thing only I clip my pedals less on rocks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I stoped by my LBS and picked up a king 18 t and am having them order up a 17. So far I haven't had any problems climbing, but again this is the midwest. I'm keeping the 19 on for the race, I'm getting over pneumonia after all and I haven't broken the knees in yet. This is going to sound stupid but you can flip the cog when it wears down right?

Chic- thanks for the link. I have no idea what any of it means yet but I'll get there.

e

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Fixed in Sandy Eggo...

I run a 34x18 fixed here in SoCal, where the climbs are steep and plentiful. It's really about what you're comfortable with, though.
When we move to SoTex (S.A., ese) in a couple of months, I'll be putting on a 36t.
Don't let any clowns get you down. Ride what works for you.

the los

·
Registered
122 Posts
32 X 22

...because I don't like to walk. I was using a 32 X 20 for some time, but I went for the 22 to race Sea Otter, where I cleared all but one climb and still was able to ride pretty fast.

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
escamillo said:

e
32/20x29"

Run what feels right at the time and don't worry about what your riding buddies' eyes do; they're just boasting. You'll get much stronger soon and will be able to go up a few gears.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
32:20

i am starting with 32:20 for my new WW 29er...
i run a 32:18 on my 26er with fatties (Mutanoraptors, 2.4), but Spookykinkajou makes a good point about tire dimensions. guess i will find out next week!

OGG

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.