Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bend, OR
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello

Not really sure if this should be posted in SS or Utah, so I guess I'll put it in both.

Anyway, my question is for singlespeeders in and around Salt Lake City(if there are any). I'm building up a SS and will be coming out to SLC for school soon. What gearing do you use? The mountains are rediculously big and steep so I'm thinking something fairly low. No higher than a 20t cog in the rear?

Also, this will be my only bike while there, so I'd like to be able to ride most everything with it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ross W. said:
'ello

Not really sure if this should be posted in SS or Utah, so I guess I'll put it in both.

Anyway, my question is for singlespeeders in and around Salt Lake City(if there are any). I'm building up a SS and will be coming out to SLC for school soon. What gearing do you use? The mountains are rediculously big and steep so I'm thinking something fairly low. No higher than a 20t cog in the rear?

Also, this will be my only bike while there, so I'd like to be able to ride most everything with it.

Thanks.
I've ridden ss mtn on the wasatch front and moab area trails for years with 42 to 56 gear inches. I settled about 46 gear inches and can ride most anything with that choice.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Varies

Yeah, some of the trails are pretty steep. Chuky always rode 34x19 in Socal, but she switched to 34x22 for the altitude adjustment and the steep singletrack. Probably go back to a 34x20 or 21 or so once she has adapted.

I rode with a guy up in Park City who was turning a 32x17, but in my limited experience up there I have found that many of the PC trails feature gentler climbs than the stuff right in SLC.

JMH

Ross W. said:
'ello

Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ross W. said:
pardon my ignorance, but what is that in cogs/teeth?
Are you riding 26" or 29" wheels?

For a 26er...32/18 = 46.2 gear inches
For a 29er...32/20 = 46.4 gear inches

For what it's worth....I did almost 70 miles of trails on Friday in Park City/Deer Valley/Canyons on my 29er geared at 32/20. My buddy was on his 29er at 32/21. I doubt you'd want to go lighter than that.

·
Au'Right!
395 Posts
I was riding 32-18 in SLC and up in Park City (Tour De Suds rocks!) If your starting out 32/19 or 20 is a good way to start off without blowing up on the climbs. The Shorline makes for great SS riding!

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
SS in PC

I ride a 34 x 20 = 44.1 gear inches in PC.

26" tires / 177.5 cranks / full rigid.

I can clear everything everywhere - Powerline, Sweeneys, T de S, T1 & T2...

Largely depends on your leg strength...I hate pushing monster gears!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.