Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS gearing in SLC

773 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cdad_martinez 
#1 ·
'ello

Not really sure if this should be posted in SS or Utah, so I guess I'll put it in both.

Anyway, my question is for singlespeeders in and around Salt Lake City(if there are any). I'm building up a SS and will be coming out to SLC for school soon. What gearing do you use? The mountains are rediculously big and steep so I'm thinking something fairly low. No higher than a 20t cog in the rear?

Also, this will be my only bike while there, so I'd like to be able to ride most everything with it.

Thanks.

#2 ·
SS in SLC

I converted an old hardtail about a year ago and settled on a 32 x 19 gear. The main reason was that this combo fit without the need for a tensioner. I think it is a reasonable gear for most Wasatch single track, except the climb from the bottom to the top of Snowbird. But then again I'm an "old" guy.

SLC is great! it might be a bit of a culture shock at first, but the skiing, biking and scenery MORE than make up it.

Watch out, you may wind up a Utahn!
Good Luck!

#3 ·
Utah SS

I was running 36:18 on my rigid ss, but I just changed to 32:18 cuz I am a bit out of shape. I rode the ss on all the trails I used to ride geared and I could ride most all the hills, just had to stand and push it hard!;) But that is the joy of ss! Welcome to Utah, this state is the bomb!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.