Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm racing the Downieville Classic at the end of this month on my SS and wanted to ask about gearing recommendations.
I'm currently running a 32X18, which is pretty suitable for most of the trails here in So. Cal, but don't know for this race?

I've been told the climbs (especially the first one) are pretty steep & difficult, and although I'm a pretty strong climber, I don't want to blow myslef up trying to turn the cranks up a wall.

Appreciate any opinions?

Cheers- :)

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Burdman said:
Hey all,
I'm racing the Downieville Classic at the end of this month on my SS and wanted to ask about gearing recommendations.
I'm currently running a 32X18, which is pretty suitable for most of the trails here in So. Cal, but don't know for this race?

I've been told the climbs (especially the first one) are pretty steep & difficult, and although I'm a pretty strong climber, I don't want to blow myslef up trying to turn the cranks up a wall.

Appreciate any opinions?

Cheers- :)
I've done it a couple of times with 32x18. I think that's a good gear. You will be walking for sure but that's not a bad thing. Just walk fast and maintain position. It's actually good to break up the pedaling a little (to avoid cramping).

If you want to pedal the whole time, 32x20 is needed I think. But then you'll lose time on parts of the climb and on the big descent.

Pre-ride is very, very important. Anti cramp pills are even more important.

good luck,
fc

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
francois said:
I've done it a couple of times with 32x18. I think that's a good gear. You will be walking for sure but that's not a bad thing. Just walk fast and maintain position. It's actually good to break up the pedaling a little (to avoid cramping).

If you want to pedal the whole time, 32x20 is needed I think. But then you'll lose time on parts of the climb and on the big descent.

Pre-ride is very, very important. Anti cramp pills are even more important.

good luck,
fc
fc,
Thanks...appreciate the feedback. I talked to a friend that's going and has raced the SS class there too, and he agreed. Better to walk a little, if need be, on the steep part and not spin out so much on the descent.
There's a few of us going up a few days before, so I will have a chance to pre-ride and hopefully acclimate a little too.

Ciao-

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did it once with a 34x20 and that wasn't low enough. Although its a great ride, I don't think the race is much fun on a single. There are so many racers competing for a narrow tread amidst a very loose trail surface, that when you get off the bike it is very hard to get back on. Spinning out on the rollers at the top of the big climb isn't much fun either. I had a lot more fun the year I did it with gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.