Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations on SS gearing for Old Pueblo.....

I live in SoCal and currently run a 32X18 on my SS, but it doesn't appear there is much elevation gain on the Old Pueblo course (1000' total)...so I'm thinking I may spin out with this ratio.

Any comments?

Tks. :thumbsup:

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Burdman said:
I'm looking for recommendations on SS gearing for Old Pueblo.....

I live in SoCal and currently run a 32X18 on my SS, but it doesn't appear there is much elevation gain on the Old Pueblo course (1000' total)...so I'm thinking I may spin out with this ratio.

Any comments?

Tks. :thumbsup:
I ran 32:18 last year and it is spinny on the flats and downs, but was nice on the climbs after the first couple laps...

32:17 might be best, though. I pre-rode it at 2:1 and hated it.

(I assumed 26" wheels...)

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
waltaz said:
I ran 32:18 last year and it is spinny on the flats and downs, but was nice on the climbs after the first couple laps...

32:17 might be best, though. I pre-rode it at 2:1 and hated it.
Walt - based on my humble observations, I would choose the 32:17 as well. I find it an acceptable gear to push in a variety of terrain. Of course, this would be for a 26" wheel size. Did you really HATE the pre-ride on the 2:1 ratio? So much anger for a young man like yourself.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
yetisurly said:
Did you really HATE the pre-ride on the 2:1 ratio? So much anger for a young man like yourself.
Yes, I hated it. Ask Mikey. It was my very first ride on 2:1 and I was viciously hung over. I thought I was gonna die...

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first few b!tches are tough, but after that it was fine for me with 2:1, on 26" wheels.

I think the problem with going easier is the flat and dowhill stuff, i really spun out and felt I was going slow. I'd rather grind uphill than spinout on downhills and flats.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
machinewsi said:
Well, I'm going down there as well. I've got 29" wheels and I'm running 32-18 up here in Phoenix. I've got a 20 tooth rear cog in the garage. Maybe I should bring it along.
If any of you are doing the race ss solo then definitely bring bigger cogs!! I've wrenched for plenty of single speeders and they all want to drop a notch or two or three as the race wears on. Itty Bitty Jen started last year's race with 32x18 and ended (in victory) with the 22T dinner platter. Of course, she's a tiny (but powerful) thing so gearing for you guys will be different. Point is, do not overestimate the staying power of your legs. Come prepared with a variety of cogs (and/or front rings) matched chains if needed. Of course you should also come prepared with someone to change the gearing for you and it's nice for your support if you have two rear wheels...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen everything on that course. 26 in with 36x15, 26 in with 32x20, 29 in with 32 x 16, 29 in with 32x22 even a cross bike with 44x14 (animal).
The 7 *****es get real ugly the 3rd or 4th time around. If the wind is blowing even the relatively flat single track on the south side can be hard when you are tired.
Don't be fooled by your first lap, the climbs really can be hard late in the evening or near the end of the event.
I think a good average gearing is slightly taller than 2:1 on a 26in bike and somewhere around 32x19 to 32x20 on a 29er.
You will only spin out a little and you will want the extra teeth on the climbs later in the race.
Jerry in Tucson (I ride that course at least twice a week all year - great riding)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Traffic

Find a gear during your pre-ride that allows you to ride quickly and keep your momentum going up the climbs, then go one tooth easier. If you are a fast rider there will be a lot of traffic on the earlier laps that force you to slow down and re-accelerate frequently to pass, making it hard to keep your momentum up. By the time the field spreads out you'll be tired enough that you'll be in the right gear anyways.

Oh, and be POLITE when passing and being passed. Ask nicely "can I get by on your right/left up here?" followed by a "thank you", and when being passed by a faster rider, actually slow for a second or move over a little to let them by, don't just say "go ahead" and then continue on at the same speed(or speed up) and continue to block the trail. No one wants to end up stuffed into a cholla! As Todd Sadow says at the start of every race:"Be Nice!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.