Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've ridden Whiskeytown a few times before a LONG time ago on a geared bike, but I was planning to race at the Lemurian Shasta with my SS and wanted to see what gear ratios you guys have raced with in the past.

I plan to do a the long course (26 miles, 4,300 ft climbing) so I was thinking about running 32-19.

What ratios have you guys run in the past?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Its a tough choice. You have two 12%+ climbs for about a mile or a tad more. If long course there is a shorter 10% climb, not nearly as bad but it makes the last part suck.

Climbs can get pretty loose on the wide fire road; chances are, unless you are a god, that you'll be walking a steep pine needle section.

That said, 32x20 is doable, 19 is pretty darn close and you'd appreciate it on the flats.

·
Registered
665 Posts
On paper is sounds a bit easier then my local stuff so I could probably go with a 34-19 or even 18 on the niner depending on the layout of the climbs. Ben based on our setups at previous races so far this year I'd say a 32-20 would be your tallest option and I'd recommend you have a 21 just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts