Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very strongly considering singlespeeding my 2021 Salsa Timberjack, as part of my pursuit of a dirt jumper inspired build, but I've never had a single speed before, and I'm a bit nervous. One of the main trail systems in my town is mainly enduro style trails (big long climb that leads to the intersection of a variety of different long downhills, lots of jumps, some tech), while the other is more flowy XC style trails with climbing and descending interspersed throughout. To add another complication, the Timberjack is my primary bike packing rig. That being the case, I guess the question is, if I single speed this bike, am I likely going to be switching out cogs for a different ratio for trail system #1, trail system #2, and bikepacking, or is it likely that there's a sweet spot there? Should I just stick with gears? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same. Hard pass.

This is why god gave us more than one bike to ride.
Speaking for myself, up to this point god actually did not give me more than one bike to ride. I will be lucky enough to have another one this upcoming summer, but I happen to like versatility. I get the drift though, thanks.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’ll probably be good with one cog for xc and enduro. Dj and bike packing probably a different easier cog.
But I’m super new to SS so my thoughts have no data.
I don't think I'm actually gonna be dirt-jumping specifically, just going more that style for the local trails! I'll have to experiment...it's a shame the Timberjack is internally routed, since it makes it a bit more of a pain to switch between gears and no gears. Another user just suggested it would be a good way to get weight off the rear wheel for in-air shenanigans.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can always tape your rear derailleur cable at the stay. Or run it externally routes with Velcro or zip ties while you experiment. SS cog set and spacers and a chain is so Only $50. Try it and see what you like.
True story! If I like it I can swap the GX components onto my other bike, too.

· Registered
810 Posts
I have said this before and people rip me for it but if you are trying out SS just don't shift your bike. It costs $0 and if you divide mid way through a ride that your gearing is wrong then change gears and ride that for a while. A cassette will generally have the most common 19,20,21,22 and 23 or at least some of those. It would give you an idea of how you like it anyways. I have a buddy that asks me what gear I am running and puts his geared bike in the closest gear to mine and off we go. That way we can both suffer on the flats and climbs.

· Registered
2,400 Posts
Some trails lend to bursts of pedaling before features etc, and the SS spin-out factor can make them less fun or even sketchy, but consistent/steeper stuff is a riot with a silent, thought-free hardtail.

As recommended, dive in and see if it’s for you. Starting with an easy gear like 32 or 30 x 22 can mitigate walking. Route selection obviously is key. Don’t complicate it by adding bikepacking just yet. Just go riding with an open mind.

· Always in the wrong gear
3,633 Posts
I love my SS, I still consider it my "primary' bike; I'll likely never not have one in my 'stable', but I'm really not a fan of the "winch and plummet" style of riding on a singlespeed. Walking up a 15% grade fireroad is IMO, really unenjoyable. Pedaling up a 15% fireroad in 32x52 is no sweat.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my SS, I still consider it my "primary' bike; I'll likely never not have one in my 'stable', but I'm really not a fan of the "winch and plummet" style of riding on a singlespeed. Walking up a 15% grade fireroad is IMO, really unenjoyable. Pedaling up a 15% fireroad in 32x52 is no sweat.
I do like my low gear...

· Registered
751 Posts
I live on the side of a mountain and do it on the enduro race trails and the bike park even. Go for it!
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

· Registered
21,721 Posts
Dude, that sounds terrible. Switching cogs before specific trail rides? That's taking something simple and making it complicated, and you'd still have a bike that's mismatched for the trail. I'm with the "hard pass" group.

· Registered
751 Posts
Dude, that sounds terrible. Switching cogs before specific trail rides? That's taking something simple and making it complicated, and you'd still have a bike that's mismatched for the trail. I'm with the "hard pass" group.
while I agree (SS should equal simple). If you like tinkering, what's 5-10 min of drop out and cog changes before a ride really?

Reactions: BansheeRune

· Rippin da fAt
12,945 Posts
I do what I do without permission because I don't have permission to do it in the first place!
I like tinkering and it's my middlechild so...
All joking aside, I change up a few things from time to time because I have the parts on the bench. I changed it up, yet again! Without permission because anarchy... Actually, I am going to ride my bike while on chemotherapy regardless os anything else. Provided I can still do it under the influence of chemicals derived from the superfund sites!

· Registered
21,721 Posts
I do what I do without permission because I don't have permission to do it in the first place!
I like tinkering and it's my middlechild so...
All joking aside, I change up a few things from time to time because I have the parts on the bench. I changed it up, yet again! Without permission because anarchy... Actually, I am going to ride my bike while on chemotherapy regardless os anything else. Provided I can still do it under the influence of chemicals derived from the superfund sites!
Hey, don’t stop on my account. I don’t really care how people choose to enjoy their biking so I’m not telling anyone to change but the OP asked for input on a public forum so you all get to benefit from my opinion. You’re welcome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.