Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from the AM forum, thought I might get better replys here.

well, for quite a while I was trying to sell my 04 MC rumble frame. eventually I was trying to get rid of it for $110.00 and figured it wasn't worth it. its a decent frame (never built it up though) made by knesis when they were still in Portland OR.

my current AM hardtail was a ironhorse yakuza bakuto. and it was an okay bike. but it had a 23.7" toptube on a 17" frame...so just really long and very big and sloppy. (great for FR, not so great for AM) so one day, I weighed the bike .... 45 pounds. thats 5 pounds more than my DH fully. so, I decided to completly scrap it. and to start building this rumble.

upon going through spare parts. I wanted to make a pretty light AM bike. somewhare withen the 25-30 pound range. I realize I don't have the lightest components on it now.

so instead of a drivetrain, I was thinking of going SS. does anyone here use SS on an AM bike ? I will also be kind of street riding it a little (as I do with all my bikes) but ultimatly, I was thinking of it being a 130mm travel 25-30 pound SS AM bike.

heres the specs so far.

Mountaincycle Rumble frame 2004
Manitou Splice Comp (4.1 pounds)
Hayes "IH" 2 mechanical disc brakes {heavy, would also swich to 160mm rotors}
Forte' 8 speed brand new casette
Deore RD, Alivio FD with Alivio Shifters
Truvativ hussefelt cranks, single 32tooth with bash.
some strange brand platform pedals with replaceable pins {really light weight}
hussefelt bars and stem
thompson elite seatpost/Specialized fuse saddle.
Rhynolite/Deore rear wheel, Specialized bolt on/Ditchwitch front

So I was thinking of being able to save some weight by going SS, would this be an okay choice for more AM duities? I really kind of want it to be a light bike. I was thinking of a 32X16 combo.

here are some pictures of the build.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I guess your gearing depends on what kind of shape your in and if the terrain has lots of elevation. That gearing might be a bit big for riding through technical stuff. But ss would be great for AM since there is less stuff to break.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
While I am not a fan of the AM term, all of my rides fall under this category by mtbr standards :rolleyes:

Anyways, point being AM is imo just plain mountain biking on whatever the forest has to throw at you, and a SS can be ridden anywhere. So long as your components can take the abuse, then it can be a "AM bike". If anything, SS will take a whole lot more abuse than a geared bike will.

I say go for it. It's a lot of fun and will keeps things interesting for you.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replys, this will be my first vertical dropout SS bike. should I use a tensioner ? or should I try to see if the 32X16 combo will work without one. also I've been told not to use spring loaded tensioners, but bolt on.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr Tiles said:
32:16 was the magic gear on my beater rigid s/s...and I use it for "am"...

yea, I had it on a jumping bike before. loved it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts