Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, for quite a while I was trying to sell my 04 MC rumble frame. eventually I was trying to get rid of it for $110.00 and figured it wasn't worth it. its a decent frame (never built it up though) made by knesis when they were still in Portland OR.

my current AM hardtail was a ironhorse yakuza bakuto. and it was an okay bike. but it had a 23.7" toptube on a 17" frame...so just really long and very big and sloppy. (great for FR, not so great for AM) so one day, I weighed the bike .... 45 pounds. thats 5 pounds more than my DH fully. so, I decided to completly scrap it. and to start building this rumble.

upon going through spare parts. I wanted to make a pretty light AM bike. somewhare withen the 25-30 pound range. I realize I don't have the lightest components on it now.

so instead of a drivetrain, I was thinking of going SS. does anyone here use SS on an AM bike ? I will also be kind of street riding it a little (as I do with all my bikes) but ultimatly, I was thinking of it being a 130mm travel 25-30 pound SS AM bike.

heres the specs so far.

Mountaincycle Rumble frame 2004
Manitou Splice Comp (4.1 pounds)
Hayes "IH" 2 mechanical disc brakes {heavy, would also swich to 160mm rotors}
Forte' 8 speed brand new casette
Deore RD, Alivio FD with Alivio Shifters
Truvativ hussefelt cranks, single 32tooth with bash.
some strange brand platform pedals with replaceable pins {really light weight}
hussefelt bars and stem
thompson elite seatpost/Specialized fuse saddle.
Rhynolite/Deore rear wheel, Specialized bolt on/Ditchwitch front

So I was thinking of being able to save some weight by going SS, would this be an okay choice for more AM duities? I really kind of want it to be a light bike. I was thinking of a 32X16 combo.

here are some pictures of the build.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
my AM bike is a single speed, and always will be. other than that, all i got is a longer travel FS bike for more than AM riding. the perfect combo, though yeah, about 25 lbs (think mine is about that) is where i would want the SS AM bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
32:18

Mine is the On-One 456 on the left side with 32:18 ratio of which I recommend for a start. It will be easier for you on technical and climbs. Later on you can change to 32:17 or 32:16, but give time for the body to adjust.

Enjoy, nice build.

Attachments

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks menzib

you've got one cool bike, looks like a real nice setup :D how are you liking the tora?

I ended up going 32X16, I'm awaiting a rennen tensioner.

heres some pics of the updated build

the specs so far are.

2004 or 2003 MC rumble frame, size M
2005 Manitou Splice Comp 130mm
Hayes IH2 brakes
Maxxis Highroller 2.3
sunrims ditchwitch/Specialized front and Shimano alivio/ WTB dual duty FR rear.
Truvativ hussefelt Cranks/Bars/Stem
Thompson Elite seatpost/ Specialized Fuse (soon to be a speed V)
obviously theres a little more specs, but this will just give you a general idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tora?

Nice looking build. I hope the 32:16 will be good for you. If this your your 1st time SSing, don't push too hard. listen to your body and knees:thumbsup:

The Tora was a budget decision as this is my 3rd pair. I also have a Chameleon and Heckler both with Freeride/Am setups. As such, it was a pleasant surprise. Plush and with a pop lock handle bar switch, just what you need for SS when you stand out of the saddle. It is tuned to 100mm and together with the frame Steel flex it feels great...I am happy.

If we are showing off already with our babes :D why don't I attach few pics of my Chameleon, of which I was planning to convert to SS but then decided keeping it.

Attachments

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
urbanmtb87 said:
I just built this singlespeed. It gets used for pretty much the same trails that I ride my Enduro on.
that looks like one FUN trailbike :eekster: I was thinking of building something like that before I got the MC, only with a large cowan.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
menzib said:
Nice looking build. I hope the 32:16 will be good for you. If this your your 1st time SSing, don't push too hard. listen to your body and knees:thumbsup:

The Tora was a budget decision as this is my 3rd pair. I also have a Chameleon and Heckler both with Freeride/Am setups. As such, it was a pleasant surprise. Plush and with a pop lock handle bar switch, just what you need for SS when you stand out of the saddle. It is tuned to 100mm and together with the frame Steel flex it feels great...I am happy.

If we are showing off already with our babes :D why don't I attach few pics of my Chameleon, of which I was planning to convert to SS but then decided keeping it.
good to know. with the tora's being so cheap...cant go wrong? The Splice will last a while I'm sure. but no lockout or anything like that. very plush. but with the tora's adjustable travel, would be great.

·
I dig trails!
5,592 Posts
todd_freeride said:
good to know. with the tora's being so cheap...cant go wrong? The Splice will last a while I'm sure. but no lockout or anything like that. very plush. but with the tora's adjustable travel, would be great.
I have a Manitou Black 90-120 SPV on my SS and I feel travel adjust and platform really allow the bike to be set up for fast XC or demanding decents. So you may want to consider such features if you are looking at a Tora.

The frame has a 69* HA w/100mm fork, while still weighing in the mid to low 20's, so it can ride pretty much anything.

The only limit I have on where I can ride is me. (but I think that is true for riders on rigids too - like urbanmtb87!) AM on a SS is more of an attitude than a anything else. If you are up for it, you can do it.

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree Mr. P

AM on a SS is more like the attitude...liked it.

We ride most of our AM trails with the SS, except maybe the very stiff technical climbs...we then use the 3rd SS gear...walking:rolleyes:

FYI, The Tora can be adjusted to 80mm 100mm or 130mm by using spacers however it requires a service.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
menzib said:
AM on a SS is more like the attitude...liked it.

We ride most of our AM trails with the SS, except maybe the very stiff technical climbs...we then use the 3rd SS gear...walking:rolleyes:

FYI, The Tora can be adjusted to 80mm 100mm or 130mm by using spacers however it requires a service.
lol, cant the tora just use its u-turn ? 85-130mm. as in I could use 120mm-115-110-105 ETC :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
For that my friend

You will have to use other RS forks. Its a budget decision. FYI, I have two other adjustable Pikes of which I rarely adjust. This is highly depends on your personal taste...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts