Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my fixed gear road bike, but I'm sure someone can help. I've got a fixed/free hub and want to ride with 2 different fixed cogs, who even uses a freewheel on a fixie anyways? :thumbsup: I could buy a a new hub and have it laced to my rim but I'd rather find a cheaper way. I want to steer clear of the Rotafix method because I just don't trust it. I've heard people say you can use a lot of locktite..but I'm skeptical of that method holding up as well. So basically I narrowed it down to 2 solutions..1. seeing if a machine shop can cut a reverse thread into the freewheel side for a cog and 2. threading a cog on with a lot of locktite, then putting a bottom bracket lockring with locktite on behind that and just make sure I check it every now and then. I play a lot of bike polo and practice some tricks (plus I'm 235lbs) so there is a lot of back pedalling. I want something that will hold up well, even if I have to check it every ride. Any solutions or ideas to consider?

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
I tried the loctite method before. i rota-fixed the crap out of it with loctite, then loctite-ed the bb ring, let it dry more than 24 hours, then rode it for a few days. it slipped, in traffic. I had a front brake, so it was manageable to ride home, but I had no speed control from the pedals.

before someone suggests is, you cannot weld a steel track cog to an aluminum hub shell. maybe you could weld an aly cog to the shell, but when it wears out, the whole hub is done. I have come to the conclusion that anything other than a hub with a reverse threaded lock ring is the only answer, other than a Tomicog type setup.

·
3,707 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
(plus I'm 235lbs) so there is a lot of back pedalling. I want something that will hold up well, even if I have to check it every ride. Any solutions or ideas to consider?
Sounds like you're looking for a new rear wheel/hub with a fixed/fixed set up. Not even worth the risks ghetto rigging it.

·
Beware the Blackbuck!
469 Posts
Not a whole lot of risk if you have brakes on your bike...

I recall someone having good luck with JB weld in place of locktite on the cog and makeshift lockring; said he couldn't get it to slip, and also couldn't get it off ever again.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Sasquatch,

Just buy a new hub. Go for a converted front XT disc hub a la VeloSolo for a set up that allows for relatively easy gearing changes. When a ghetto system fails, it can do so suddenly and catastrophically...in traffic. How much is your health and safety worth?

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
I don't know a **** ton about what sort of set up you desire to run, but there is always the Surly Dingle cog. Seems to be the cheapest way, especially if you are looking in the 17-20t range.

sasquatch said:
who even uses a freewheel on a fixie anyways?
Technically, no one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
This is for my fixed gear road bike, but I'm sure someone can help. I've got a fixed/free hub and want to ride with 2 different fixed cogs...
please forgive my ignorance...but i cannot figure out what you mean in your description of your set-up.
your hub actually is threaded on one side for a fixed/track cog & the other side is a free hub?
i have never seen anything like that but actually would be interested in finding one since i like to change my gearing a lot & occasionally switch from fixed to ss on my own road bike, & cogs are so much less expensive than freewheels.
or do you actually have a typical flip-flop hub that is threaded on both sides, with a cog on one side & a fw on the other?
if that is the case, the answer is very simple. there is no reason you can't just remove your fw & install a cog & lockring in its place. that is what i am running right now. since i wanted to try riding my 700c bike as a fg on the trails like that video posted somewhere around here, & have a very small cog on it for riding pavement, i pulled off my fw & threw a bigger cog onto that side.
have fun & good luck...

·
Registered
692 Posts
markaitch said:
please forgive my ignorance...but i cannot figure out what you mean in your description of your set-up.
your hub actually is threaded on one side for a fixed/track cog & the other side is a free hub? .
One side is threaded for track sprocket + lock ring, other side is threaded for a freewheel.
Like this one:

·
Registered
390 Posts
thanx for the info asphaltdude...
that splains it!
i've had 3 different fg/ss bikes in the past year & thank god every one of them came with stepped cog/lockring threading on both sides of the rear hub. i never had a prob running a freewheel on either side on any of them either.
guess having a fw specific side makes it tuff to ride fixed only & still (safely?) have the option for a 2nd ratio. there's no kind of locking device available for that situation?
looks like op's only option unless he wants to risk it unlocked or locktited, is a new hub or a dingle cog, hmmm?
makes me glad none of my bikes had/have a hub like in that pic.

·
Dive Bomber
770 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you guys think of seeing what a machine shop can do? If I'm going to buy a new hub, spokes, and nipples I'd just buy a new rear wheel and sell the other one. But I was hoping to steer clear of that. A machine shop should be able to cut a left hand thread for the lockring correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts