Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One Colorful Rider
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all you out there with Fat Bikes Running Single Speed.

I live in Midwest (Far Northwest Suburb of Chicago)
Building a SS Pugs. I'd like some Input of what your running.
On my other SS I run
34-16 on my 29er riden only in Summer
on my Green Convertible 1x1
29" wheel with a 34-17 and in winter 26" wheel 34-18

Later this year I will Build a Alfine Rear wheel when Hubs come available

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in western MT and use 32/22 gears. I ride mountain logging roads that are covered with snow and lots of ice. There are steep grades and the only way to pull them is to be seated or the tire will slip and then I stop and can't get going again. I tried 32/20 but it was to much gear. I don't know your terrain, I run 32/19 in the summer. I hope this helps.

·
One Colorful Rider
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks washedup and v huck

Even Before I get the pugs built I am learning to stay seated. We've been getting some snow and my commuter is a Bianchi San Jose with a 44x17. I'm running 700x40 studded tires and when seated that baby motors from a complete stand still on snow packed roads.

If anyone else has any feed back please comment.

·
no dabs
476 Posts
I use about 15% lower gearing SS in the winter than I like in the summer. If converting from summer to winter, same bike, same usage (off road, commuter, road, whatever) my answer is 15% lower.

If going from traditional "skinny" MTB tires off road in winter to fat bike off road in winter, I'd say you can get away with one tooth higher in the rear, at least. If going from MTB summer to fat bike winter, I'd say less than 15% lower gearing. Keep in mind, the rolling diameter does affect gear ratio. The rolling diameter of the endo is between 27 and 29" (depending on pressure, rim choice, and your weight). I measured roughly 27" dia at 3.5 psi climbing a steep incline with a ~200 lb total load on the rear tire. It is minor, but good that you will tend to drop pressure under the same conditions that warrant a lower ideal gear.wi

My biggest issue with single speed fat bikes is that they are a natural do everything bike, and when conditions change a little, the ideal compromise gear changes a lot. Also, since going to sram shifters and full length housing, I stopped having winter issues with gearing.

My only SS now is my commuter bike, which sits unused like my ~13 other bikes since I now ride the geared fat bike all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.