Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built up my second SS. First one went down in flames and I did not give it enough of a chance. Currently riding a 04 Specialized S Works Hardtail that is converted. :thumbsup:

A coulple of questions. I am running a 32 - 22 for the conditions where I am. (westchester county NY) For those of you have been on a SS for a while, are you still running the same gearing as when you started? I have noticed that driveline is the key to a happy drivetrain. With a dedicated SS hub how do you move the rear cog in or out to line up with the cranks? Or do you use spacers on the crank to move it in and out?

Having a blast so far. Don't know whether or not I will totally snub my other rides or not, but this is a whole new can o worms !!!!!!:cool:

Chris
www.wmba,org <---- Come Ride With Us !!!

·
Duckin' Fonuts.
297 Posts
I messed with gearing a bit initially. But in the last few years I just run 44x17 on my crosser and 34x18 on the my 26er mtb.

I have been lucky with chainline. On the cx chainring is in the outermost position on the crank and bb spindle is 107 with the freewheel on a Surly hub. No spacers needed. Mtb hub is the same spindle is 113 ring in the middle with a bashring.

·
Registered
211 Posts
32 : 22 is pretty low. I guess you´ve got silly long climbs out there.
I started with the classic 2:1 and tried a bit lower (34:18), but since once I installed 34:16, because of the choise of the cheap Shimano DX singlespeedrings, I didn´t thought much about my ratio. It worked well most of time, the times it was to tough, I later declared to training, and next times in the same section it was ok.
There is one exclusion: For competitions with longer climbs and less flat section, I prefer a slightly lower ratio, not to be tired to soon.

For I always used cassette-hubs chainline adjustement never was a problem. And if possible, I would ever prefer the more inner chainline and a short BB.

regards.
b.asti

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
On one bike the freewheel and chainring lined up without any fiddling. On the other I shimmed my chainring to improve the chainline.
I run a 32:16 in Connecticut (steep, but usually short climbs), with 26" wheels. The first time I tried SS, I accidentally geared my bike 32:14, and thought "Man this is a lot harder than I thought it would be!":eekster:
Boy was I relieved when I saw I put the wrong cog on!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Welcome to the party!! On the 26" SS I started 32X19 in April of 2005. I changed a week later to 32X18. I now ride a 29er at 32X20 (basically the same) so I have not changed much. For the chain line use spacers on the rear to bring the cog in/out. Enjoy!!:D

·
Registered
225 Posts

I have the Novatec SS hub, which has spacers that seem to work well for alignment.
They are easy to change.

I mainly ride 909 , but also Jockey Hill and Blue mountain (during hunting season).
I started SS in Oct. 05 and have always run 32:20.

for me, this seems like the perfect gear for where i ride.
I still have trouble getting up some of those steep rollers.
But I am good to go on long climbs.

later
Jim

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I have noticed it is not the long climbs that are the pain, rather it's the short steep ones that are the challenge. I know a couple others who ride a 32 x 20. Maybe I will get down there. Right now the 22 feels good.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.