Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might belong on the SS forum, but I'll hit you all up first. Just a few "musings" on drivetrain options. Yes, it's my turn to play pseudo-intellectual. ;)

It seems like the lowly tensioner might be the best answer to SS drivetrain adjustment.

EBBs change weight distribution, seat height, pedal to seat relationship, etc. and in the case of my Rig, add maintenance issues (creaking).
Sliding dropouts are kinda clunky, change effective chainstay length, mess with disc brake adjustment (some versions), change wheelbase, preclude using a quick release.

the tensioners I've seen work well, have none of the issues mentioned above, are fairly light, make for a simple frame (std BB and vert dropout), and assuming der. hanger mount, can convert to gears if you want to. Is this blasphemy? Have I had one too many diet Mountain Dews?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
no

you have not drank too much...you just came up with a logical solution to your individual problem! Good for you!

You failed to mention rear fork mounts (sometimes called rear entry horizontal drop outs), but your rationale will rule them out also.

Hey, do what works for you, and keep in mind that you, your style, and your needs may change over time.

I didnt like the spring tensioner I used, but I am not you.

If you find that you also dont like the chain slap you sometimes get with a spring tensioner, you can always try a half link/magic gear, or a ghost ring (2 more solutions you may not have considered) with your choice of frame.

Ride what you like, do what you like, dont listen to guys like me. Far too many people buy and build for the wrong reasons. Your reasons are yours, and that makes them good.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Correction

bikecop said:
this might belong on the SS forum, but I'll hit you all up first. Just a few "musings" on drivetrain options. Yes, it's my turn to play pseudo-intellectual. ;)

It seems like the lowly tensioner might be the best answer to SS drivetrain adjustment.

EBBs change weight distribution, seat height, pedal to seat relationship, etc. and in the case of my Rig, add maintenance issues (creaking).
Sliding dropouts are kinda clunky, change effective chainstay length, mess with disc brake adjustment (some versions), change wheelbase, preclude using a quick release.

the tensioners I've seen work well, have none of the issues mentioned above, are fairly light, make for a simple frame (std BB and vert dropout), and assuming der. hanger mount, can convert to gears if you want to. Is this blasphemy? Have I had one too many diet Mountain Dews?
With sliding dropouts quick releases are no problem, the drop is vertical. (You must be thinking of track ends)
A tensioner is just another part that can go bad (been there - done that).
For me it's anything but a tensioner.

NEWS FLASH

·
Registered
266 Posts
the only tensioner i ever used that did not break and leave me hosed was the rennen. for that reason alone, the rennen rules over all. it is reason enuf for me - tho in fact there are still others why it is the best.

however, the rennen requires a wrench for flat tires, nothing speedy about it.

i like track fork-ends. i can deal with the chaistay length changin, and already carry an allen anyway.

in truth i was surprised to see the SS world go nuts over EBB - i had used one on the tandem for many years and while it serves a purpose there, i never thought it all that grand vis a vis the weight, the big ass BB shell, the maintnence, the position being munged up every time you use it, etc. to use one voluntary on a single bike seemed crazy to me.

sliders seem to tend toward the funky looking - but i don't use discs sothey're not really a concern anyway.

good to have choice !!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts