·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I fnally got the 29er back up and running as an SS. the issue

normal pedaling: ok
moderate: ok
heavy pedaling while seated: sorta ok- occasional ping from heavy pedaling

out of the saddle all SS stylin: pop, ting f*$&% argh!

so, my drivetrain pops loudly from the rear cog (a boone, so i dont want to fock it up) ONLY and Ive checked for tight links. could perfect alignemtn be required for my application?

I guess I need a machinists rule or something to make 100% sre that its good?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
perfect chainline

SlowSSer said:
ok, so I fnally got the 29er back up and running as an SS. the issue

normal pedaling: ok
moderate: ok
heavy pedaling while seated: sorta ok- occasional ping from heavy pedaling

out of the saddle all SS stylin: pop, ting f*$&% argh!

so, my drivetrain pops loudly from the rear cog (a boone, so i dont want to fock it up) ONLY and Ive checked for tight links. could perfect alignemtn be required for my application?

I guess I need a machinists rule or something to make 100% sre that its good?
When not using a tensioner, perfect chain line is always desirable, and for the quietest running with no issues, required.

Or, perhaps, is your chain too tight? Due to flex of the crank, BB, and frame when pedaling really hard, a tight chain gets even tighter. So the fact that your problems occur only when really hammering makes me suspect a tight chain.

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Frame flex? I am assuming you have it set up exactly the same as before you had the EBB issues. Does it pop at the same place in the pedal stroke? On one leg or both? Are all of the teeth o.k. on both rings? Glad you got it rolling again.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Doesn't seem like alignment

I had crappy alignment with a 1/8" chain. Perfect would have been in the big ring position, but I ran a bash guard with the ring in the middle ring position. I could tell it wasn't perfect on a hard climb, but in general, there were no loud noises.

Are you running a brand new chain? The sound you're hearing was what I was hearing when I replaced my old chain but not my rings. I'd suspect that sound with old ring and chain, but a new ti cog.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whole drivetrain is basically new.

oh, and to eyeball the chainline shows that its nearly spot-on. i guess that i need to find a good straight edge and figure it out. donkey had to look at it for a bit to determine if any movement was necesairy.

i think one of the reasons that this irks me is that on the 26er ss i just set it up the first time and have never looked back. about the only thing that it now needs after 2+ years is a new bottom bracket. a true single speed: pump tires, lube chain, ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
pedals and BB bracket

if the chain is not too tight I'd check the pedals and the cranks and the chain ring bolts. It might be coming from those even though you think it is coming from the back. Sound travel though the bike in weird ways.

·
SS Addict
55 Posts
What kind of chain are you running? I had the same problem with some brand new generic KHS chain - as an experiment I put on a used Shimano 8 speed chain (IG?) and the skipping stopped. I tossed the KHS and now only run the Shimano or SRAM PC-58.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.