Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the hub... I've been riding on my Paul WORD hub for the past 2 months. I took my bike up to a LBS and they commented on the bent axle.. Um.. BENT AXLE?!! Anyway, in the stand when the wheel is rotating, you can definetly notice something is not right. The chain is rocking back and forth (getting looser and tighter) with every pedal rotation. I assume this is under warranty?? How would they handle it? Is there a rebuild kit available?

Now, the XT issue. After 2 months of creaking and ticking (and several bottom bracket pulls), I finally traced it to the middle chain ring that I moved to the outside of the spider. I moved it back, and viola, totally silent!! So, my question is if anyone else has had this problem? It's a salsa chainring, and one issue that I found was that the spider indentions for the bolts were a little longer than the chainring, so there was a 1/8 in gap inbetween the end of the spider and the beginning of the chainring. A better way to describe it would be that the indention is cut just a little to long for the chainring. I'm sure it's this way because it's a middle chainring... Fits perfectly on the inside.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
martinman said:
First the hub... I've been riding on my Paul WORD hub for the past 2 months. I took my bike up to a LBS and they commented on the bent axle.. Um.. BENT AXLE?!! Anyway, in the stand when the wheel is rotating, you can definetly notice something is not right. The chain is rocking back and forth (getting looser and tighter) with every pedal rotation. I assume this is under warranty?? How would they handle it? Is there a rebuild kit available?
Not a bent axle. The paul axle is way strong (about 20 mm of nearly solid aluminum) and even if it was bent it would not cause the chain to get tighter and looser. The axle does not rotate and can not cause it.

It does happen because the chainring and/or freewheel are not perfectly round. Totally normal. It can be made a bit better by turning the crank to the tight spot, loosen the chainring bolts, squeeze the top and bottom run of chain together and retighten the bolts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah.. Yes, that makes sense. The tech. even pointed to the freewheel and noticed that there is a slight out of roundness causing some play in the rotation. Hence the chain movement.

Whew!! You really put my mind at ease!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.