Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to replace my stock wheelsets on my caad4 f1000 (any cannondale ss peeps out here?), and have been considering switching to ss for some time now.. i can probably kill two birds with one stone, now.

the two options for the rear hub i am considering are:
a) building with a freewheel - probably a surly,
or b) building with a casette - probably an xt.

what do you think of option a vs. b? yep, ive done lots of reading but am still looking for reactions. i am leaning towards a).

if i go option a) with a fw/fw hub can i build that with two different toothed fw's on each side?

of course if i go option b) i can still gear up if i ever wanted to... but man do i hate shifting. the biggest problem i see is that i like to ride all kinds of terrain --i guess i just need the right "happy medium" g/r..

·
Registered
129 Posts
currently riding a F700 caad2, several years old. found that my eno hub slips far to much for my liking, and the seat stays are more flexy than my other 2 dales.
that said, i'm running a lx hub, spacers from several old cassettes and a low rate cog until the one from endless comes in. ratio is currently 34:18 w/ singulator in push mode.
discs front and back.

a flip flop would be fine, but you'd be adjusting the tensioner unless you ran the same gear and had it fixed on the otherside. fixie not good with a tensioner is my understanding.

i'd say stay with the xt hub and run a disc on the port side. as for the surly, you wont need track nuts as it has mostly vertical drops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet got any pics?

ya been reading even more, and am now leading towards a cassette. ;-)

i think i have a pretty good measurement on my chainline, and from all tools out there it looks like i will probably need the tensioner to get sane gearing. so -- (hopefully am not starting a flame war) are tensioners "that bad" -- is it just aesthetics/purists or is there some reason (other than weight/simplicity) that i should avoid a tensioner?

i haven't gone disc brakes yet, however i have the mounts on the frame. can i simply use a disc brake hub -- yet still ride v-brakes (yep need rims for v-brakes). or does it depend on the hub manufacturer's specs? i don't think i am ready to plop down cash for a set of disc brakes just yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.