Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions for a rigid ht mountain bike for commuting. i was thinking of a monocog but i dont think you can mount a rear basket on it. I would like to keep it under 500. i am open to any sugestions thanks

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I wish I lived somewhere that would make a SS commuter practical. Then again...that usually means a city, so I guess I'm OK where I'm at.

If I WAS building a single speed, I'd go 29er. There are some SWEET SS 29ers in the 29er forum. You should pop over there and ask for reccomendo's from that crowd.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh i was thinking of doing a monocog but i dont know gears might be nice on a commuter. perhaps i need to put some money down on a d440. i wanted to do some light touring this summer as well so that might help. i just purchased a gf rig and love the idea of not having to worry about all those moving parts the the d440 looks like a nice bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up a Monocog for $225 on my local Craigslist. I plan on using it as my winter commuter/grocery getter. You are correct that there are not any braze-ons for mounting a rear rack, but there are other solutions out there such as seatpost mounted racks. I have seen a few examples of guys who have drilled and tapped the rear dropouts on a Monocog for mounting racks and I plan on following this route. The dropouts on the (non-Flite) Monocog are really beefy and so I would think that a couple of well placed holes shouldn't affect their structural integrity much. That said, I'm not a mechanical engineer so you probably shouldn't listen to me. :D We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GO SINGLE SPEED! 29ER! i commute with a haro mary ss 29er. if you want a smooth ride for a rigid hardtail 29 is the way to go. single speed is also just fun simple and more of a challenge.

it treats me right for all situations. on or off road.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cog1984 said:
GO SINGLE SPEED! 29ER! i commute with a haro mary ss 29er. if you want a smooth ride for a rigid hardtail 29 is the way to go. single speed is also just fun simple and more of a challenge.

it treats me right for all situations. on or off road.
I have a gf rig ss so i was thinking having a bike with gears would be nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.