·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us are out there?:thumbsup:

Bike: 09 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
Experience: Novice
Distance: 9-10 miles
Hills: Gradual stuff, but one long steep bastard of a hill on my way home everyday.

·
smell my finger
154 Posts
SS commuters

I try and commute 3 times per week, 19 miles round trip and I use a monocog 29er with 42-20 gears. This rig has really helped in overall fitness, especially the core. If I don't commute to work I ride after it gets dark (twilight times are more dangerous) and do a 9-12 mile loop depending on how I feel. I plan on doing this throughout the winter and increase my days as the spring arrives. Lovin it....

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
60-70 miles round trip 1-2 times a week. 42-16 gears with semi-slicks. There are no shoulders along most of the route. It's fun to pull over into the dirt and keep on rolling. With the road bike I sometimes have to pull over and stop to allow room for semi trucks to pass. Overall the SS is only about 15 minutes slower in 30 miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
1700 miles so far this year...
17 miles round trip. all on my singleated, fendered, racked trek 4300 commuting machine...surly rigid fork. Just got some Nokians for the Ice.

Viva La single speed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in.
Short commute - 4 miles round trip - rain, snow or hail
Hills- yes, one big one. Heading home is always fun!
Bike - mid 80's Nishiki Colorado with a milk crate on back :thumbsup:

I love riding my bike to work, it helps me de-tox before I get home (usually).

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Just started up again after changing jobs.

Commute is only 4 miles the quick way or 7 miles the long way.
Doing it on a SS mtb that is set up fixie. 40/16, drop bars, v-brakes and Schwalbe Fast Freds 26x1.9
It is 80% uphill on the quick way and almost flat on the long way

With the time change this weekend, nothing will change except the light will come out.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
Usual commute is 6 miles each way with big shoulders and very mild hills. Sometimes more. Monday I have to do a HUGE climb and about 12 miles each way.

Gary Fisher Rig, 180mm cranks, 36x22, Nashbar trailer, 50+ lbs of carpentry tools. Fenders and Nokians are going on soon. Probably gonna wuss out and get an Alfine soon for higher top speed and easier climbing with the trailer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I commute about 50% of the time on my Trek Soho S. I changed out the chainring from a 42 to a 45 tooth and left the rear 17 freewheel intact. Most of the terrain is fairly calm around here but there is one beastly hill that I churn up on my way to school. It cuts me down to about 13MPH or so, but the bike is light enough that it doesnt matter much.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cross check fixed. 42 X 16. Anywhere from 8-30 miles each way as time permits. Currently 2 days/week, summers are 5 days/week.

·
Registered
331 Posts
14miles round trip 3-5 times a week. A couple of flyovers that i have to stand for but mostly flat. Old Gary Fisher wahoo. Running the big gear up front(42t) with the derailleur taken off. I took apart the rear cassette and am using the 15t in back(had to grind the riviet, spot spacers. I got the chain line straight on the first try. Only dropped it once so far. Using the old rear derailleur as a chain tensioner. 1.5slicks. Fenders, BOB trailer

·
Registered
89 Posts
SS commuters!

Hi mates,
Just got back home luckily in one piece!
19.8 miles each way. Try to commute 1 or 2 times per week.
39 - 15 gear on a Giant TR1 roadbike with a Pauls singlator, singlespeed bars, Ti egg beaters, and front brake only.
Love this ex gearie roadbike.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
645 Posts
16mi roundtrip here in cincinnati. 2-3 times a week in a 4day workweek.
Bike: 04 Haro V3, 42x16. Lots of lights, old rusty fender, smile all the way. Its getting cold though in the morn!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Bare minimum, 70 miles a week. 46/16 fixed on the nice days, 42/17 fixed on the big 29" slick commuter on the crappy days.

·
One Colorful Rider
1,204 Posts
25 miles round trip Daily 5 days a week thats straight backand forth.
sometimes I'll run errand's onthe way to work which depending onwhere i'm going could add up to10 miles more

In the summer I use several different bikes aweek.
three fixxed gear langsters with either a 44-15,44-16, 42-15

in the winter it mostly my San Jose with a 42-17 fixed or if it snows my surly 1x1 with a 36-16.

Mostly flat in a Far Northwest Suburb of Chicago

·
Registered
84 Posts
Easy 1-mile commute - but the high point of the ride is in the middle of the ride...so it's uphill and downhill every day! I ride day or night, rain or snow.

Right now, I ride either a Schwinn Panther cruiser or a Kona Paddy Wagon - SS, of course.

-RAJ

·
Registered
447 Posts
70s POS beater bike, 25 mile round trip.

3-4 days in summer, 1-2 in fall (scheduling conflicts)

All fixed... 45-15 in summer, backed off to 45-17 recently.

May pull the trigger on a Moto Fantom Uno... it'll give me the rear brake I need for the hills around here, then I'll beef up the tires and take it off-road too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
19 miles round trip
Hilly terrain
Giant Bowery (fixes count as SS right :) )

I try to commute 4 times a week when I am feeling well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man some of you guys do some fierce commutes. Kudos to you.

As if SS wasn't tough enough with hills, I didn't find out that I was fighting against something else until 6/10ths of my round trip. Brakes were rubbing all the way to work and 1/5 of the way home. ARG. I thought I was fat, out of shape, etc.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts