Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
RichyX said:
My new GT Peace arrived this morning.
As expected the 18t cog isn't well suited to my riding.

Are there many sites in the UK/Ireland selling 15/16t cogs?

The only site I've found is On-One, who do them for £15.75 exc. shipping.
Look for a Shimano DX cog, should be available anywhere BMX kit is sold and it works fine on any standard freewheel.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I like the On-One cogs. I have them on several bikes. They do the job and seem bulletproof.

The nice thing is you get them within a couple of days instead of waiting for them to eventually come through the distribution system. Try getting a SS cog over the counter in most UK towns.

BTW they are also well priced.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Velobike said:
I like the On-One cogs. I have them on several bikes. They do the job and seem bulletproof.

The nice thing is you get them within a couple of days instead of waiting for them to eventually come through the distribution system. Try getting a SS cog over the counter in most UK towns.

BTW they are also well priced.
Ask for a BMX cog instead, chances are you'll find one in stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any recommendations on which to go for?
I'm finding the 18t nearly useless for around town or a high speed blast in the park.
I can even bomb up any of the climbs at my local trail with it.

Would 15t make a dramatic difference?

On-One have the entire conversion kit with a 16t cog for only £10.50.
Might get that and hang on the other parts of the kit for future use.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
On One groove Armada is a really good steel cog.

Some cheap cogs may make sense until you find the size you really want.

I found 32x18 to 32x16 to be a very noticable step. For riding around town (no forest trails), a higher gearing would be better.

Depending on how you keep your chain tensioned, you may need a half link for the chain to account for the total number of teeth vs. chain length.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perttime said:
I found 32x18 to 32x16 to be a very noticable step. For riding around town (no forest trails), a higher gearing would be better.

Depending on how you keep your chain tensioned, you may need a half link for the chain to account for the total number of teeth vs. chain length.
You mean higher than 32x16 for town riding?

This is the right sort of fitting for an SS isn't it? -
http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=csgu-sscogs&PHPSESSID=mb4jilr3bklujnne4fsbs84vm7
Nice and cheap just to try for size. Any idea what the quality would be like?

The Peace has an EBB so I guess I might be making some adjustments to it.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
With 32x16, acceleration is good and I can climb anything on pavement. Maintaining speed is hard: I have to spin like crazy or alternate between furious spinning and coasting.
On forest trails I work hard on some climbs.
I may turn that bike more into a commuter/errand bike and something like 36x16 should let me keep up the speed better while still allowing me to climb the gentle (mainly) slopes we have on pavement.

That is exactly the kind of cheap cogs I meant. I once bought a pack of several similar ones but don't remember the brand name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts