Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Candies on my Niner air one but am thinging of running egg beaters to save some weight.Do you think the xtra platform of the candies is benificial for ss? I run eggbeaters on all my other bikes with no issues.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I loved my eggbeaters until the tensioning spring broke. So then I got candies, and the spring broke on those also. After contacting cust service, there doesn't appear to be a rebuild kit. They would warranty replace, but IMO a pedal should last longer than this without issues, and I didn't want any more.

Loved the entry/exit and the pedal feel for the first ~1500 miles, but after that, they seem to be a ticking bomb. Before I started using these, I had a pair of SPD pedals with over 5000 miles on them still working perfectly.

Using Times now. Not as happy with them, but they seem more reliable, and I prefer them over SPDs.

If someone could verify that this issue was fixed or that a full rebuild kit was available, I would switch back to candies in a heartbeat.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
I don't think the extra platform is all that helpful, personally. It all boils down to how fast you can clip in. For me, clipping in takes twice as long as anyone else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Eggbeaters

I'm running Crank Brothers on 7 different bikes, 5 of which have eggbeaters (including the single speed). I just ordered another set.

I can easily rebuild them if needed and they look cool.

I have not experienced any downside with them in almost 8 years of use.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Devine Intervention said:
I can easily rebuild them if needed
What are you using as a replacement spring, if you don't mind me asking? Crank Bros was less than forthcoming regarding the possibility of obtaining spare springs. I tried to source something from a specialty industrial parts supplier and found something close, but right size, wrong spring rate.

·
Registered
748 Posts
paco664 said:
dunno... went from spd's to candies..... really happy with the candies..... was really happy with the spd's......

maybe i just ain't picky....
I too liked my SPDs, and tried to go back to them, but was having some foot problems. The CBs have more float that eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I tested the beaters for a magazine many years ago. I liked the way I could clip in on any side, but a few trips through the rock gardens where pedal strikes are inevitable and they weren't so hot anymore. CB replaced them no problem, but that has become their mantra.

I've got a pair of Time ATAC's that are 10+ years old and I've only replace the plastic step-plates once....

My newest pair has taken hit that made my knee hurt, and not had a problem. My Time Z's simply unearth the boulders on the way by. YMMV

The question isn't Beaters vs.Candies. It's pedals that last vs. "great customer service".

·
Registered
348 Posts
I love my Eggbeater SL's. I had them break in less than a year, but got them warranteed. Not all that concerned. I just picked up a Pink Spring set of Candy SL's that I am going to run on my FS and move the EB SL's to my SS.

For those wondering why pink... My Aunt got diagnosed with BC this year. I am also walking the 3 day with my my lovely wife in August!

Back on topic.... I really really really like my Eggbeaters!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.