Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a jabberwocky for my wife. I'll be purchasing slx crankset but wasn't sure if I should be getting a triple or double? Either way I'll be putting on a raceface chainring (because it has to be purple) so does it matter which I get? Not going with a bashing of it matters.
I found a nice used set of stans arch wheels with white industries mi6 hubs and need a SS spacer kit. Any specific one that's better than others? Would be nice if it came with a 20t cog.
I assume any 9 or 10 speed chain will work? I have a 10 speed already which is why I ask.
What width tires? I was thinking 2.1? Is wider better with SS?
Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
I recommend a triple crankset and then run your single ring in the inner or outer position depending on chainline preference.

I run SLX triple cranks on my bikes with a single ring setup in the outer position. With most frames this allows you can run anything from a 32 tooth up to a crazy 48 tooth ring. On the back, you can use your spacer kit to match the chainline. Keeping a 20 or 22 tooth on the back allows you to change the chainring depending on what preference you have for gearing. For starting out I would recommend a 36/22. Depending on how she feels you can change the ring or the cog to fine tune the gearing. A tooth to change for the ring makes about half as much of a change as a tooth change for the cog so if you start with 36/22 you have a lot of control to tune the gearing vs. starting with something like 32/18.

Any size chain works fine so you can use your 10 speed.

Tires depend a lot on conditions and preference.

Have fun with the build!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
There's a small difference in chainline between 2x and 3x cranks, but since you are using spacers in the back it won't matter at all - buy whichever is cheaper and sell the chainrings on Ebay. That's exactly what I did when I bought my SLX cranks.

I'd recommend running a 2.3 tire in front for a little more traction and cushion and a 2.1-2.2 tire in the back.

I disagree with Farnsworth on gearing. I'd go with a standard 32 in the front and start with a 20 or 21 in the back. Since you're using cogs instead of freewheels, it's super easy to change the rear cog if you ever want to. (I settled on 32/21 a long time ago and never change my gearing - when I get stronger I just go faster up the hills).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.