Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I seem to have to replace external bearing bottom brackets way to often. I tend to have one side seize up. Wondering if the extrnal BB thing is a no go for SSing. I push a 34:16 gear, weigh 215, and do a fair bit of climbing. Im thinking that might be a bit much load.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
refreshinglygood said:
So I seem to have to replace external bearing bottom brackets way to often. I tend to have one side seize up. Wondering if the extrnal BB thing is a no go for SSing. I push a 34:16 gear, weigh 215, and do a fair bit of climbing. Im thinking that might be a bit much load.
I think that might have more to do with improper preload adjustment, either too loose or too tight

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've just never had any probs with square tapers, so that's what I've stuck with. Currently have an old Shimano UN72 in my 01 RM Blizzard; I bet it's been in there 7 years, and is still good. I weigh close to what you do, and stand on it a lot also (what SS'er doesn't?).
Whenever I get to build up a RL MC 29er, I'm gonna go with one of those, or else a Phil Wood...why not?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some of those external bearing bottom brackets are bunk. RaceFace in particular have given me tons of problems. They use a plastic collar/shim/washer BETWEEN the bearing and the spindle. They are almost always cracked on assembly and replacements must be modified before they will survive re-installation. I believe they cracked as a result of improperly faced bottom bracket shells. Any mis-alignment between the two cups could cause undue stress on the delicate plastic part and likely would result in excess wear on any external bearing bb. As i recall, carefully re-facing the shell prevented the problem from happening again.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
So far I've been happy with Shimano outboard stuff. SRAM BB's are kinda crappy but work for a decent amount of time. My Shimano square taper usually lasts about a year and a summer with everyday riding in a Wisconsin winter. I don't trust them much past that and they get kinda grindy/sticky after one solid winter season of commuting.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've had a great experience with every external bottom bracket I have ever used. That includes, THM, Campy, Zipp, Shimano, Truvativ and soon Raceface. I've always had my frames properly prepared with the head tube and bottom bracket shell faced and the bottom bracket threads chased. This has always given me great bearing life and no bottom bracket creaks. Doing it right goes a long way.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Happy with LX Hollowtech2 (external)

External BBs are pretty picky about the BB shell being exactly straight. Was yours faced before installation?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.