Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS Basics for Newbie

1593 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Redlands R&C
Hello all, I am suddenly at 55 interested in SS. Already have a full sus and a hardtail (geared). My hardtail does not have sliding drop-outs, does that mean I cannot convert to SS, or is there a way to run it SS without?
Reactions: 1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Hello all, I am suddenly at 55 interested in SS. Already have a full sus and a hardtail (geared). My hardtail does not have sliding drop-outs, does that mean I cannot convert to SS, or is there a way to run it SS without?
That's awesome! Yes, you can probably convert your current hardtail to SS with a tensioner.
Be careful, you may find yourself riding the SS full time! You'll love the simplicity.
Reactions: 2
Be careful, you may find yourself riding the SS full time! You'll love the simplicity.
At 52, all I ride is single speed. Yes, I too love the simplicity. I have 2 single speed bikes geared differently, and a geared bike. The geared bike pretty much collects dust.
Also, if you need to change out handlebars, like I do from time to time, it takes only a few minutes not having to deal with brake handles and shifters.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I'm converting a geared bike to SS using the Surly Singulator kit with a Surly 20t cog out back paired to a 32t up front. Good gearing to get me started and once I get enough rides on it, I'll switch the rear cog to a 19t or 18t.
Be careful, you may find yourself riding the SS full time!
Your beard and quads will grow accordingly!
  • Haha
Your beard and quads will grow accordingly!
Which one is more attractive to women?
  • Haha
Which one is more attractive to women?
depends on how many gears the woman is pushing I suppose. Geared? Then beard. Singlespeed? Then quads.
  • Haha
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.