Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about switching my Surly KM to a single speed. Naturally, all the single speed riders I talk to say it's great. Just curious, however, to hear if anyone out there tried single speed and went back to geared. If so, why?

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
I tend to go back and forth. It goes like this: I'll be rolling with a full 9 gears for a while and liking it just fine. Then I'll tear off the derailleur and the gears will piss me off. So, I'll switch to SS for a while. I generally last 4-6 months on the SS. Then I get tired, or the trails get covered with leaves or ice or something. Then I put the gears back on.

I have a bike with sliding dropouts, and this makes the swapping easy.

So far this year it's been all gears...then haven't pissed me off yet.

I really like the SS, but I also really like the gears. I also tend to swap between rigid and Reba a couple times during the year too.

Perhaps I just like working on the bike...it is nice and cool and quiet down there in the basement after the kids have gone to sleep...

No one says that once you go SS you have to sawzall all of your hangers off yano.

B

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Definite time and place for each which depends on you.

Some days you feel like a nut, some days you don't. I say don't feel bad for switching back and forth; riding bikes is about having fun, so just make sure that's what you're doing!

·
Registered
321 Posts
been there, tried that, went back.

Tried it with my old Trek (I mean old, an '89 7000) and thought it was pretty good. Got a Karate Monkey and tried it with the rigid 29er thing. Wasn't my cup of tea. I don't find shifting to be all that mentally taxing, and I wasn't so much on the idea of always being in the wrong gear - too tall on the climbs and too short on the flats and descents. I just realized I like to have the options to get the most out of my powerband, and not have to make it last from 30rpm to 150rpm.

On the mountain, I went back to my Santa Cruz Superlight, full sus 3x9. Was having back problems, otherwise I generally run 1x9. I like to remind my SS buddies that I have a singlespeed as well -- I only run one at a time -- I just have a bunch more choices and a handy thumb operated method of changing my mind. ;)

I've been doing my own bike maintenance since '85 or so, and worked in a shop, so I know how to keep derailleurs working properly, so the whole "reliability" thing isn't an issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I not a backslider per se - I've got a couple of gearies and a couple of single speeds.

That said I basically only use the geared bikes when my legs are knackered or I want to do stuff that tends to break hardtail xc bikes :D

I've found ss and the big wheels to be well suited to one another and couldn't see me not owning an ss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.