Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been riding for a few years and am ready to get in real shape and get serious with riding and diet. It seems for me that when I ride my ss only that I get in shape faster and feel better all around even ss hurts a lil more. So, my questions for you guys is there anyone here that ONLY rides ss? How do you do you're recovery rides? Do you just suck it up and hammer? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I only ride SS or fixed... on the road, off-road, everywhere. I have four fixed gears, only one SS. I do have one geared bike, but it's for carrying heavy loads. I don't do recovery rides. I just ride. I suppose every ride is a recovery ride from the previous.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I dont' take riding seriously. I just ride.

I like variety in my riding and alternate between SS and a long travel 9 speed FS bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like to ride nearly everyday and am lucky enough to have endless trails from my back door (Santa Cruz Mtns). it is tough on the legs to do the ss everyday so i try to alternate the types of trails ...
ie:
Mon Wed Fri - I'll hit the fast single track downhills and climb up the fire roads (~15 mi/2K)
Tue Thu Sat - my 'long saddle days' - hit up the tough singletrack and mix in the ocean and more climbs (~30 mi/3K)

some days i go out strong and track my pace and lap times up the various climbs, other days i just like to roll along in the forest with no pace in mind =)

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
I ride SS all the time now. I have a geared bike but as above that's just for carrying stuff or lending to a friend. My SS is offroad, onroad whatever bike and I have a roadie fixie also. SS is just so much fun, why would you want to ride another bike... as for recovery rides, I don't even know what they are... I just ride anywhere and everywhere offroad, love it and then go home and drink chocolate milk... that's my recovery.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm just asking because I'm in the middle of getting (selling) rid of all my geared bikes and really just want to focus on the ss.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I say...
if you have many geared bikes, keep one that you like more than the rest. Or that is the most different from your SS. For a while at least, until you are sure you want to be SS-only.

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
2 outta 3 MTBs

I've got a ti rigid SS and a cromoly frame SS with an Xfly fork and suspension seatpost for "easier" riding.

When I'm not up to the task, I'll ride my "vacation" bike - a 4" travel, disk brake shod, 27 speed fully. It's been ridden once in the past 3 years, I'm happy to say.

My road bike is a steel frame 3x9 rig (I live in the rolling hills of central NC) that doesn't get ridden much. With 8 bikes in the garage (matching bikes for my wife), it's hard to justify a SS for the road.

Keep the gears - it will only make you love SS that much more.

JMJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only One

Only one bike (well actually 2), one gear. I've been solely SS for about 3 years now and ride it pretty much everywhere.

Recently started mixing in some off road fixie as well but on the milder trails around town.

The only variation is what gearing ratio I run.

·
Single and loving it
98 Posts
SS only here aside from my road bike that I use for some base fitness riding. I ride the SS everywhere offroad from the easy rolling rides to our trips into the mountains.

Have spare cogs will travel!

·
Ain't afraid of no ghosts
309 Posts
I only have the money for "one" (old SS got turned into a commuter), so I use my road bike for recovery. I haven't ridden gears off-road (minus demo days) in about a year and a half now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ride mostly single speed on and off-road. For recovery rides, I stick to flat roads. I do have a geared cyclocross bike, and I ride it on the trails if I think I need a break from SS. I also use it for road rides with friends who haven't seen the fixed/SS light yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, now I know I'm not the only one. Do all of you guys with only ss's do epics with your bikes too? Meaning 25+ miles and lots of climbing. I'm trying to get my fitness level up enough to do epics on the weekends too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just converted to SS in the last month, and I doubt I'll ever go back. It felt "right" from the first moment I rode it out of the shop... I could get up hills faster, spin better, and focus on riding instead of shifting. I was a little worried about getting back on the trails, but I was able to keep up with my 21-speed-hardtail-riding friend, even at 44/16. In fact, I smoked him on most of the uphill switchbacks and surprised us both.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This year I've got no gears. Got a fixie for the road, and just converted my gearie MTB into a singlespeed. So far it's a ton of fun, and on trails the 32x16 gearing is perfect! The only time i miss gears is when it comes to riding to the trails. Riding 5 miles on flat pavement with trail gearing is a chore, so I anticipate a lot of driving to certain trailheads :( , but maybe that will change....we'll see.

·
Registered
36 Posts
floorguy724 said:
Thanks guys, now I know I'm not the only one. Do all of you guys with only ss's do epics with your bikes too? Meaning 25+ miles and lots of climbing. I'm trying to get my fitness level up enough to do epics on the weekends too.:thumbsup:
I have no issues with taking my 26" SS out for long rides on the weekends both around town or in the mountains. It does take some work getting your fitness level up where it needs to be. :thumbsup:

·
I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
152 Posts
I'm down to 4 bikes...

1 SS mtb, 1 9 speed 5 inch FS bike, Fixed crosser and geared road. I have a simple rule... under 3 hours of saddle time, SS. Over 3 hrs, geared. Save my low back and knees some pain. Since I have 2 small kids, 90% of my rides are around 2 hours so I'm 90% SS.

I've ridden a couple of road centuries on the fixie, but it is nice to spin out miles too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only if your friends all ride singlespeed too! I have a rigid SS 29er for solo rides and a 24-speed FS for social rides. Seriously, it's hard to talk to your friends when they're on geared bikes and you're singlespeeding. The pacing is just so different.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mr. Mako said:
Only if your friends all ride singlespeed too! I have a rigid SS 29er for solo rides and a 24-speed FS for social rides. Seriously, it's hard to talk to your friends when they're on geared bikes and you're singlespeeding. The pacing is just so different.
I know what you mean! There is nothing better than hitting a crazy climb and hearing all your buddys shift to a lower gear and you just stand up and hammer.....Priceless:D

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
floorguy724 said:
I know what you mean! There is nothing better than hitting a crazy climb and hearing all your buddys shift to a lower gear and you just stand up and hammer.....Priceless:D
Except when they are all in front of you and there's no room to pass...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.