Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a ss 29er to the fleet. I've been riding ss bikes for years now, but haven't had a 29er, and that's just silly given that I'm 6'4" :D! Just seeing what else I should add to the list below:

Kona Unit
Gary Fisher Marlin
Redline Monocog
Surly Karate Monkey

Being in Canada ordering/shipping full bikes is generally not a good option. Too expensive or too much of a pain (e.g., Bikesdirect won't ship to Canadian addresses, have to use a freight forwarding service). So, what else should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a little partial to the Marlin because I own one, but I replaced the fork due to the weight and wanted a rigid. Trek has super customer service so thats another notch for it. The Karate Monkey is also a really awesome bike. The nice thing about the Karate Monkey is your don't have to order new dropouts to make it a fully geared or 1x9 bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gbphantom said:
I'm a little partial to the Marlin because I own one, but I replaced the fork due to the weight and wanted a rigid. Trek has super customer service so thats another notch for it. The Karate Monkey is also a really awesome bike. The nice thing about the Karate Monkey is your don't have to order new dropouts to make it a fully geared or 1x9 bike.
Yeah, right now it's between the Marlin and the Unit. The fork on the Marlin is definitely a clunker though, would swap that out for something more lightweight. How are the brakes working for you, or have you already swapped them out?

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you can swing a grand, the Monocog Flight is a pretty impressive bike. The regular Monocog is also nice, but IMO, the Flight's frame and brakes are well worth the upcharge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
options

Like you, I've also been riding for many years. I while back I decided I was going to add another steed to the stable and was leaning towards a 29er, preferably a SS. Never owned either. LBS had Monocog, Marlin and Unit for me to try.

Of course, this is all very much personal preference, but I really didn't care for the ride, or the look of the Marlin, LBS had two monocogs in stock but neither in my size. Rode the Kona Unit and fell in love with it. I've had it a week now and the 26" road bike is likely going to be stuck in the basement for a while, the geared Fisher looks sad in the garage...

Sorry for the long answer, but I had the same budget and rode a few of the options and couldn't be happier with the Unit.

Jamie

·
Ride & Smile
173 Posts
Chris in AB said:
Looking to add a ss 29er to the fleet. I've been riding ss bikes for years now, but haven't had a 29er, and that's just silly given that I'm 6'4" :D! Just seeing what else I should add to the list below:
Kona Unit
Gary Fisher Marlin
Redline Monocog
Surly Karate Monkey
Being in Canada ordering/shipping full bikes is generally not a good option. Too expensive or too much of a pain (e.g., Bikesdirect won't ship to Canadian addresses, have to use a freight forwarding service). So, what else should I be looking at?
Thanks in advance!
You could pick up a 22" Kona Unit with a 25.5 top tube length and 6.3" head tube length and still have money left over for some upgrades.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my redline monocog for like 2 years now and I've loved it, kept it all stock.

As I say this, I am awaiting the LBS to get my 2011 Stumpjumper 29 SS that I ordered like 3 weeks ago

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rowbear314 said:
I've had my redline monocog for like 2 years now and I've loved it, kept it all stock.

As I say this, I am awaiting the LBS to get my 2011 Stumpjumper 29 SS that I ordered like 3 weeks ago
You've got a monocog to sell to me then, great :p !

So it looks like I've covered the majority of cheaper ss 29ers available in Canada then? Guess it's time to start visiting the lbs's and try some out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stout se 29er! ...I should get paid by those dudes...

·
WNC Native
3,906 Posts
I've had 2 Monocog's (one stock and one custom build), they are hard to beat for the money.

However I think I'd spring for the 2011 Kona Unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stout isn't readily available in Canada, so not an option.

The Raleigh one is interesting. I'm not totally convinced about running a belt drive though. Still too hard to readily find replacement parts if needed.

I'm still leaning towards the Kona. I have a Jake the Snake and know they know what they're doing when it comes to mountain bikes. Being a Canadian company is an added bonus too. Still, if I can try out a few, that would be best :thumbsup:

·
Vogan poet
27 Posts
belt ?

Chris in AB said:
Stout isn't readily available in Canada, so not an option.

The Raleigh one is interesting. I'm not totally convinced about running a belt drive though. Still too hard to readily find replacement parts if needed.

I'm still leaning towards the Kona. I have a Jake the Snake and know they know what they're doing when it comes to mountain bikes. Being a Canadian company is an added bonus too. Still, if I can try out a few, that would be best :thumbsup:
I bought my XXIX last weekend and it has a chain:confused:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'm in AB too, and got the Unit a few weeks ago.

It's a pretty good deal, and so far I'm having fun with it. Not sure how the rigid fork with feel on dirt, but it just glides over bumpy snow.

I'm only 6', and felt a bit stretched out on the 19" frame so I just swapped the 90mm stem with a 60mm that I had in the parts box. The 60mm feels like it might be a bit too short, but I'm liking the handling. A 70mm or something might be in my future.

Also swapped the wheels with P35s from ebay because I wanted something wider and white looks cool.

So +1 on the Unit from me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts