Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I talked to SRAM and according to them the power or master link with the XX1 11sp chains is NOT designed to be opened and reused after initial installation.

This seems like a horrible design to me. You can never remove your chain for resizing (or any other issue) without a NEW power link available? And if this is the case, can you even get the XX1 power link by themselves (a quick web search didnt turn anything up for me)?

Has anyone found a work around to this? Or possibly successfully undone the XX1 master link?

What about using a Shimano 11sp chain? I know SRAM says the XX1 / X01 systems are designed only for their chains, but will the Shimano chains works just as well (mainly the chain retention on the chainring I question)?

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
So, I talked to SRAM and according to them the power or master link with the XX1 11sp chains is NOT designed to be opened and reused after initial installation.

This seems like a horrible design to me. You can never remove your chain for resizing (or any other issue) without a NEW power link available? And if this is the case, can you even get the XX1 power link by themselves (a quick web search didnt turn anything up for me)?

Has anyone found a work around to this?
One "work around" for this would be to size the chain right and leave it on the bike until you put a new one on but that's not such a popular answer here on mtbr. Anyway that's my recommendation.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, but that doesnt help me now that I've already installed it.

Its my first time working with the SRAM XX1 / X01 group, and on a brand new bike, so a little trial and error was bound to happen even being highly experienced with bike mechanicing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.