Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in the Wolf Tooth thread, but have not gotten an definite answer. After e-mail wolf tooth, they got back to me saying to look at the picture... Problem is I dont have the cranks yet, and was hoping to get both the cranks and chainring at the same time.

Is the xx1 bb30 Q factor 168 a short or long spindle? I have not been able to find anything confirming either. I need to know this so I can order either the bb 30 direct mount chainring, or the GXP direct mount for my stumpjumper HT.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
289 Posts
Apologies for bumping an old thread but i'm a bit confused about the xx1 spindle lengths.

I just ordered an xx1 bb30/pf30 crankset, 175mm and 168 qfactor.

I'm shopping for aftermarket chainrings and the chain rings are dependent on crankset spindle length. There is a short spindle bb30 xx1 crank that is 95mm long and a long spindle bb30 xx1 crank that is 101.5mm long.

I measured mine and I have the "short spindle" with the small 9mm spacer. I'm confused about this whole spindle length on the xx1 though, what is the bb30 "long spindle" crank used for? When purchasing my crankset there was nowhere to select which length spindle I wanted and i've not seen spindle length mentioned anywhere except shopping for aftermarket chainrings.

I'm just really curious about this since there seems to be more options in rings for the "long spindle" bb30. So how would one go about getting this long spindle bb30 crank and what sort of application is it used for?

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
Spindle is same, as 156Q. The crank arms of the 168Q flare-out 5mm more outboard(the bends are noticeable)....to clear widened 29+ and Fatbike chainstays.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What it came down to is OEM is generally long spindle and aftermarket is short spindle. This is for specialized bikes, not certain on others. So the xx1 cranks are short spindle, as well as x01.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
endorphin addict
272 Posts
What it came down to is OEM is generally long spindle and aftermarket is short spindle. This is for specialized bikes, not certain on others. So the xx1 cranks are short spindle, as well as x01.
Thanks for this post.

I just bought a short-spindle x9 crankset for my 2012 spesh SJ without knowing there were two lengths. Does anyone know if the aftermarket short spindles will mount up ok with the chainline and such on the SJ?

Have been having some issues getting it to work so far, getting the smaller spacer now. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Worked fine on my stumpjumper. It should have come with the correct spacer if it was purchased new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I've also ordered X9 BB30 short spindle with short spacer for my stumpy fsr '16. It should work as I've also double checked with Spesh. X9 however comes with a 2.2 version (newer). The decal is a little different. Function wise I have no reply from sram but this is what they say:

From Sram,
Thanks for your message. The cranks that come from the factory with either the 38/24, 36/22, or the 34/22 (all-mountain) ring combo have a longer spindle than the cranks that came with 42/28 or 39/26. The 38/24, 36/22, or the 34/22 (all-mountain) ring cranks are all OE configuration (not sold aftermarket off bicycle).

It is important to take note of which spindle length crank you are dealing with on a call as some frames require the longer spindle due to various BB shell configurations. If you are missing rings, an easy way to tell which spindle you are dealing with is to measure the drive side spacer. If the spacer is 15.46mm, the long spindle is in play. If the spacer is 9.11mm, you are dealing with the short spindle.

Regards,
SRAM USA
www.sram.com

Service and Technical Documents:
www.sram.com/service

Regarding the 2.2 version, lbs spesh said that the bearings are somewhat different. But I've ordered the older version and will update it once I've mounted them with 0mm offset chainring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.