Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm upgrading my 18 Lbs Scott Spark LTD to Sram XX right now and looking for Grip shift as i don't want to add the weight of trigger shifter + regular grip.

1- someone know if there is still rumor to have Sram releasing 10 speed grip shift this spring?

2- the other option i'm looking or now is the 10 speed custom XO grip shift a German guy is modifiying and advertising on many forum (see the video on the link bellow). They're quite expesnive (110$ euro + TX) for a shifter pair. The guy told me they shifting crisp and clean like regular 9 speed XO shifter.

Someone have experience with those shifter? i would apreciate any comments.

3- last option are the Recon 10 speed shifter on dulight.fr but the guy already confirm to me they're not really shifting crisp and accurate.

thank's

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
XX triggers are lighter than XO twisters modified.

i have a set of XO twisties modified to work with XX and they don't work quite as nice as 9speed ones. i prefer the XX triggers.

just my opinion though.

i wish SRAM would come out with XX twisties, but i am losing faith in SRAM. i liked my Shimano road group WAY better than SRAM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the weight of the XXmodified X0 version? My regular XO version weight only 170g and the xx triguer suposed to be arround 182G+ the fact you need full size grip.

thank's

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more thing. i know there is not much difference between X0 gripshift vs xx trigger but one big reason why i'm looking for 10 speed gripshift is that i'm using Dura Ace front derailleur and i need grip shift to allow some "trip" to do all rear cog.

thank's

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
trembljo said:
what is the weight of the XXmodified X0 version? My regular XO version weight only 170g and the xx triguer suposed to be arround 182G+ the fact you need full size grip.

thank's
Weight of the shifter will be the same for both 9spd and 10spd versions of the X0 grip shifter.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
There's all kinds of rumors floating around. A week ago, SRAM were rumored to have said there would be no 10 speed gripshift. Now today I see that someone heard that they'll be out this summer. Kind of hard to believe anything until I see them available for purchase.

I've been using the BlackCatBoneBikes modified pieces, and they don't work as well as my 9 speed shifters did. The ones prepped by Fantic26 (he made that video and sells them on ebay) are pruported to work as well as the SRAM 9 speed versions.

Who's version are you using whybotherme?

I looked at those yesterday on ebay, and they were 77.60 euro. Today they're 112.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-X-0-XX-XTR...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7510557780062556855

Here's a link to another discussion about this subject:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83066

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one posted on ebay are from the vendor i'm looking for. The guy sell them for 120 euro outside of ebay, i don't understand why poeples bid 112 euro few days before the bid end......

those one seem to have reputation to shift well, i'm still hesitating because 120 euro + tx is a lot of money for xo shifter you can normally get around 70$ USD on ebay.

one of my friend tried Dura front derailler last summer with XX triger and had to swap to a XX front derailleur few weeks later as he was not able to do all the rear cog from the smaller front gear without the possibility to trim on the front.

thank's for your comments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
trembljo said:

thank's
My XO twisties are 160gms with the cables cut down for front/rear. I'm doubting that xx triggers are lighter...

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
trembljo said:
one big reason why i'm looking for 10 speed gripshift is that i'm using Dura Ace front derailleur and i need grip shift to allow some "trip" to do all rear cog.

thank's
You do not need 10s gripshift for that. Just run grip shift for front der and trigger out back.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've heard the 10spd GS were suppose to be at Sea Otter. Then a mechanic friend told me his boss came back from the SRAM dealer thing and was told SRAM had, quote "NO PLANS", for 10 speed GS at this time. Then someone on the WW forum said a rep told him they would be out this summer. I'm sticking with what the dealers were told.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i ear also the rummor about GS to be released at see other but..

Race season start in 2 months and i need shifter before that. As it seem Sram have nothing to be released really short term, i will probably try the custom X0 10 speed.

about another reply proposing to install a gripshift on the left side and a triger on the right side, be sure i will not do that on a 10000$ bike...;)

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
IF SRAM plans a XX twister for 2011, it will appear at Sea Otter. Whether it appears on a racer's bike as a prototype being tested or at the display booth as a pre-production run display version would be the issue at hand. If you see neither, then you'll have to wait until the fall trade shows to find out what they have planned for 2012. Sea Otter is where manufacturers publically reveal new prototypes and pre-production developed ideas that they came up with over the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.